#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both were finished physically in their 20s.

Aguero made his debut younger than either of them. He's doing alright still. Don't really buy the finished early thing as there's countless examples of world class players who played into their 30s despite making their debut at 17. Rooney's quite famously prone to indulgence and a lack of professionalism, Owen was chronically injury prone from the start. Look at their peers though. Giggs played until nearly 40, debuting at 17. Lampard played for just under 20 seasons, starting at 17. Milner was once the youngest ever Premier League player at 16, still going strong at 33. There are absolutely looooooads of general football legends that started young and had long careers. Maldini, Cruyff, Raul, Ronaldo, Messi etc.

There's no real correlation between starting early and having a shortened career. Some do, some don't.

We're global now, the reality is that local means next to nothing. The English teams you mentioned have won what between them in the last 5 years? Chelsea a premier league the others?
It's no good getting all tribal now and asking for the club to make exceptions because someone was born near Manchester.

you arguement makes no sense at all

Liverpool, Chelsea, barcelona, Madrid, bayern... are none of these clubs global ??? all of which have brought through players recently.......
i mentioned pretty much every side in the top 8 england other then us swell. so thats most of biggest teams in the world who do it.

your trying to spin the idea that the club couldnt care less about local players and apparently its tribal to care- load of crap. the club would absolutely love to have a local poster boy that would sell them millions of shirts and become a legend. you only have to look at kane, gerrard, mount now at chelsea - they generated huge followings and revenue because of those players (mount has the potential)

the club have spent 100s of millions on the academy, invested billions now into east manchester, khaldoon has mentioned local players plenty of times - but apparently the club couldnt care less about it according to you.

i think its more that you personally dont care about the local element and probably associate yourself with being global. as it would mean everything to most match going city fans,. the club to see a local youth player finally make it

Both were finished physically in their 20s.

so we play foden when hes 24 so that he can play when hes 35??. I'm sure sancho, mount, arnold, hudsun odoi all really regret playing now. rooney gets mentioned a lot, but if foden has half the career he had he will be a legend. he won everything and was one the best players in the league. imagine not playing rooney at 17, even though he was the best player most weeks -it wouldnt make sense

Aguero made his debut younger than either of them. He's doing alright still. Don't really buy the finished early thing as there's countless examples of world class players who played into their 30s despite making their debut at 17. Rooney's quite famously prone to indulgence and a lack of professionalism, Owen was chronically injury prone from the start. Look at their peers though. Giggs played until nearly 40, debuting at 17. Lampard played for just under 20 seasons, starting at 17. Milner was once the youngest ever Premier League player at 16, still going strong at 33. There are absolutely looooooads of general football legends that started young and had long careers. Maldini, Cruyff, Raul, Ronaldo, Messi etc.

There's no real correlation between starting early and having a shortened career. Some do, some don't.

Great repost.

That's a fair point although I think there's different body types, different levels of professionalism, different positions and styles of football. And just as Rooney being finished doesn't prove that Foden shouldn't play regularly at 18, Maldini doesn't prove that he should.

I look at sports like baseball and see the worload of young pitchers carefully managed to avoid problems down the track. I hope we show the same caution.

I presume we have professionals at the club that would know player A is capable of playing week in week out at 17, player B needs to be nurtured a bit.

so we play foden when hes 24 so that he can play when hes 35??. I'm sure sancho, mount, arnold, hudsun odoi all really regret playing now. rooney gets mentioned a lot, but if foden has half the career he had he will be a legend. he won everything and was one the best players in the league. imagine not playing rooney at 17, even though he was the best player most weeks -it wouldnt make sense

No, I don't think I've ever suggested that we don't play Foden.

Lots of strawman arguments being made here. Is there one person on this forum who thinks we should wait until he's 24 to play Foden?

I don't think playing week in, week out at 17 is essential, or necessarily a good thing for a long, successful career. But we'll have professionals at the club that can make that judgement better than me or you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.