#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think playing week in, week out at 17 is essential, or necessarily a good thing for a long, successful career. But we'll have professionals at the club that can make that judgement better than me or you.

It's ironic that you complain about strawman arguments and then talk about "playing week in, week out at 17" , something that literally no one has suggested. Oh and by the way he's 19.

As for worrying about him playing too much, sorry but that's the dumbest argument I've seen for not playing him. The time to worry about managing his game time and consider whether he's playing too much is when he's played 20 games in a season, not when he's played 10 minutes.

No, I don't think I've ever suggested that we don't play Foden.

Lots of strawman arguments being made here. Is there one person on this forum who thinks we should wait until he's 24 to play Foden?

I don't think playing week in, week out at 17 is essential, or necessarily a good thing for a long, successful career. But we'll have professionals at the club that can make that judgement better than me or you.

i never said that you suggested that....

and as suggested above your arguement is pretty ironic.

It's ironic that you complain about strawman arguments and then talk about "playing week in, week out at 17" , something that literally no one has suggested. Oh and by the way he's 19.

As for worrying about him playing too much, sorry but that's the dumbest argument I've seen for not playing him. The time to worry about managing his game time and consider whether he's playing too much is when he's played 20 games in a season, not when he's played 10 minutes.

We were talking about Rooney and Owen (and others) playing week in, week out at 17, not Foden in particular.

For some, it will be what they need. For others it will be detrimental.

And I don't worry about Foden playing too much. I'm always happy to see him on the pitch, and as I've mentioned in this thread I hope and expect that he'll get about double the match time he did last year.

That imo will be a good step forward in his development.

Foden is in a tricky position. Its another year of waiting for him to get regular game time. He is trusted you can see that when he started against Spurs in the league game at home last season. I think the lad just needs to stay focused. He is in the same boat as most of the midfielders who were great for us last season. Gundogan , Both Silvas , Ferna , KDB and himself can all play central as can Rodri so its going to limit everyones game time in there baring injuries. Foden if he plays cup games and dead rubber games in Champions league and some league games too again it will be another good season for him. He will get more game time when David Silva goes and Ferna come next season. It is a given 1 more year to learn from David Silva then let him loose. Seems a no brainer to me.

He is not as good as any of our midfielders, so he will accordingly get the least of playing time between them. Its not a great situation for him, but that's how it is when you are coming through in a team full of world class players on your position. Do you think Arnolds would be a starter in Liverpool if he was attacker? Would he my ass, they are running their attacking trio to the ground because they are better than what they have on the bench or in academy. Even Shaqiri, a seasoned pro can't buy a start. Arnolds got in a team because he was good and competition for his place was average. If they would have someone like Arnolds in their youth now, he wouldn't play because Arnold does.

Foden is competing against 2 best world's midfielders, against regular German national team member and to a part, one of the main Portuguese players. He is not better than any of them. Period. Including Gundogan. He'd never ever be close to do what Gundogan did for us last season when we were fighting it with Liverpool. He scored vs Spurs, but then looked lost for most of the game before he was subbed. Because he's still not on the level required to play those games. And we can afford to play someone who is, but could not afford us to lose.

It should be better for him next season when Merlin goes, but right now each and every midfielder we have is more established and capable to influence games on top level than he is. He's good, but he is still a kid and exactly where he should be in a pecking order of our midfielders. Is it great situation for him and his development? No, of course. But that's how it is, he is at a team where we all go mental when we lose a single game. I don't blame a club at all with how things are going with Foden. We didn't buy anyone to block his position in recent times. It was maybe mistake to buy Mahrez and block Sancho, but with Foden, we haven't done that. I don't blame Pep too. He wasn't brought here to bring our youngsters through, he was brought to win everything under the sun. He'll logically go first to established and proven players to try doing that, once he had them on his disposal. He'd be stupid not to do that. Nobody gives a shit if he brought anyone through at Bayern, but people say regularly he didn't win CL and could only do it with Messi. The only thing the club and Pep could have eventually done is to send Phil on the loan. But then, minutes he collects are valuable to rest other players.

Last edited:
Btw, City's record of valuing academy players accordingly is almost perfect. Apart from Sancho who looks like he is going to make it and who we didn't want to sell, none of the players we decided not to be up to the standards of our team, made it anywhere close to the team of City's level. Those who thought they were good enough and went somewhere else, proved they were not good enough. Diaz went to big club but had equivalent of four full games at Madrid in La Liga last year. He might very well finish as Denis Suarez who played some games for Barcelona too. People moaned about most of them when they were sold, but on the end it was proved that experts at the club were right and we got 150+ mil for players who would never be good enough for us. That buys you De Bruyne, Rodri and Bernardo Silva. I'm perfectly fine with those three than team full of Lopezs, Suarezs and Diazs. I'm fairly sure they are valuing Foden perfectly well too and that he will become regular member of that already bought midfield (from academy money) once he is good enough for that.

City are best run club in the world with great balance in on and off-the pitch success. No media, player or fans pressure would change the way it operates. Media don't want anything good to the club; the players come and go and fans couldn't run white from black, let alone the club.

Last edited:
Btw, City's record of valuing academy players accordingly is almost perfect. Apart from Sancho who looks like he is going to make it and who we didn't want to sell, none of the players we decided not to be up to the standards of our team, made it anywhere close to the team of City's level. Those who thought they were good enough and went somewhere else, proved they were not good enough. Diaz went to big club but had equivalent of four full games at Madrid in La Liga last year. He might very well finish as Denis Suarez who played some games for Barcelona too. People moaned about most of them when they were sold, but on the end it was proved that experts at the club were right and we got 150+ mil for players who would never be good enough for us. That buys you De Bruyne, Rodri and Bernardo Silva. I'm perfectly fine with those three than team full of Lopezs, Suarezs and Diazs. I'm fairly sure they are valuing Foden perfectly well too and that he will become regular member of that already bought midfield (from academy money) once he is good enough for that.

City are best run club in the world with great balance in on and off-the pitch success. No media, player or fans pressure would change the way it operates. Media don't want anything good to the club; the players come and go and fans couldn't run white from black, let alone the club.
I largely agree with you, and yes, I know we didn't want to sell him, but I did chuckle at "apart from Sancho". Yes, apart from the guy who's going to be sold for £100m more than we let him go for we're been really spot on.

Also, I'm not willing to say Brahim couldn't be a City level player yet. Real is a mess at the moment, I'm not going to read too far into that.

I largely agree with you, and yes, I know we didn't want to sell him, but I did chuckle at "apart from Sancho". Yes, apart from the guy who's going to be sold for £100m more than we let him go for we're been really spot on.

Sancho is one that slipped through, but it looks like we couldn't do anything there. Maybe buying Mahrez was a mistake, but who knows, maybe we already knew that he doesn't want to sign a new deal. Shame anyway.

Sancho is one that slipped through, but it looks like we couldn't do anything there. Maybe buying Mahrez was a mistake, but who knows, maybe we already knew that he doesn't want to sign a new deal. Shame anyway.

Sancho had nothing to do with Mahrez, he was already long gone.

Sancho left because we were very publicly going after Alexis Sanchez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.