#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say that the cup games he's played in have been fantastic for his developing, and many of them have been tougher than some of our league games.

They've been OK to get him where his is now, but a cup game every 2 months when he was 17 was a good step in his development. 2 years later a cup game against lower league opposition every 2 months isn't going to cut it.

Everyone knows this, IMO that's why Pep's gone on the charm offensive in the media, praising and talking him up 3 times already in a 3 week old season. He knows that Phil needs to start playing more regularly.

They've been OK to get him where his is now, but a cup game every 2 months when he was 17 was a good step in his development. 2 years later a cup game against lower league opposition every 2 months isn't going to cut it.

Everyone knows this, IMO that's why Pep's gone on the charm offensive in the media, praising and talking him up 3 times already in a 3 week old season. He knows that Phil needs to start playing more regularly.

By the tone of his quotes in his press conference i don't think he'll start any time soon frustratingly. Bit of a shame really. Pep seems a bit (politely) frustrated with him IMO. He seems a timid lad and I think Pep wants a little more arrogance/confidence from him. Sounds like Foden's still acting like he's just happy to be there training with them, and as Pep said, there's no need for that as he's been around the team for a couple of years now.

Totally agree. He should be starting today. Will be very disappointed if he isn’t.

and who are those youngsters who are getting regular game time displacing?

What’s the point in having players like foden then ? If none of them can displace first team players ??

We have one of the best young players in the country and if he can’t get game time at city none of them will. A few cup games here and there isn’t enough now.

There comes a point where we have to be brave and not scared of playing talented youngsters. Playing foden today for example isn’t going to make us weaker. Otherwise he’ll end up leaving like Sancho and becoming a top class player.

Why don’t you want to see a more then good enough local lad playing for us ??

He will get games and he will become a success. This is DS's last season and probably Fern's. Phil will be ready.

He will get games and he will become a success. This is DS's last season and probably Fern's. Phil will be ready.

I don’t buy that argument. Silva if fit will play every game and more then likely we will just buy a ready made replacement next season.

Even this season with de Bruyne fit and more players on the bench he’ll be struggling to get on the bench. I know I’m being pessimistic, but I think he needs a loan and some game time otherwise he’ll be sat in the stands every week

Didn't disappoint when he started last season, he should be properly in the rotation this season.

That being said players like Fern haven't figured yet but that's not due to age.

For all the angst expressed by some supporters about game time for Foden, Pep has recently suggested that he needs to be a bit more assured , suggesting that he is working on his approach and mental attitude.

I'm sure that when Pep feels he is ready for more regular game time Foden will feature. Not personally worried concerning the approach we are adopting.

What’s the point in having players like foden then ? If none of them can displace first team players ??

We have one of the best young players in the country and if he can’t get game time at city none of them will. A few cup games here and there isn’t enough now.

There comes a point where we have to be brave and not scared of playing talented youngsters. Playing foden today for example isn’t going to make us weaker. Otherwise he’ll end up leaving like Sancho and becoming a top class player.

Why don’t you want to see a more then good enough local lad playing for us ??

I never said that. I am pointing out that those of a similar age getting games regularly have less competition for a place.

Foden is imo, not going to bench the players we have on a regular basis and he will surely know that. I have no doubt Pep will play him more this season, but it will be when he feels he is the right fit on that particular week, with all the other team selection dynamics that get thrown in the mix also.

Has played more minutes than Fernandinho this season. He'll get his moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.