#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I think Pep is just scared of playing young players.
He coached one of the best football teams in the world and plucked more than a couple players from the youth system and coached them to into a winning mission. He isn't scared. He knows what hes doing.

To be honest I think it’s pretty embarrassing that we’re almost 2/3 of the way through the season and he’s only played 250 minutes of Premier League football. He’d almost certainly have played far less if Sane hadn’t been injured all season as well.
Why is the League your only measurement? The Cups are just as important, how many minutes has he had overall? I'm willing to bet he and Garcia will start and play 90 mins vs Fulham.

He coached one of the best football teams in the world and plucked more than a couple players from the youth system and coached them to into a winning mission. He isn't scared. He knows what hes doing.

Which players were those...? Lionel Messi was playing before Pep as an FYI.

mozbyCE.png

Looks like plenty of minutes to me? If he keeps going he will likely finish the season on about 1500 minutes - the equivelant of 16 full 90 minute games. I don't see anything wrong with that when we have Gundogan, Silva, Bernardo, Kevin, Rodri and Fernandinho available in midfield.

I would like to see him start more league games in tge second half of the season - but posting only League minutes is pretty poor.

Why is the League your only measurement? The Cups are just as important, how many minutes has he had overall? I'm willing to bet he and Garcia will start and play 90 mins vs Fulham.

Looks like plenty of minutes to me? If he keeps going he will likely finish the season on about 1500 minutes - the equivelant of 16 full 90 minute games. I don't see anything wrong with that when we have Gundogan, Silva, Bernardo, Kevin, Rodri and Fernandinho available in midfield.

I would like to see him start more league games in tge second half of the season - but posting only League minutes is pretty poor.

Games against Preston (b team), Port Vale, Oxford and Fulham aren't really that attractive for his development. It's better than nothing but I'd say 15 minutes in a competitive PL game will give him more than 90 minutes against Port Vale.

He coached one of the best football teams in the world and plucked more than a couple players from the youth system and coached them to into a winning mission.

That's not something he's repeated since. And, when you look at it, there was literally one teenager in his squad, Bojan, who played 30+ games for the first team in the season before Pep joined. The only one he can seriously take credit for giving their first opportunity is Busquets. The season after he started giving Pedro a go.

He improves nearly every one he coaches but I think he sees giving kids a chance as too much of a risk. I understand that, up until now he's been a short term manager, but if ever there was a season to take that risk then it's this one.

mozbyCE.png

It's about trusting him against decent opposition, for me.

The bulk of his games have come in Europe and the League cup, against pretty shite opposition. The reason why it's frustrating is because he has shown himself in nearly every game to be way, way above their standard and then we've got experienced first team players who have repeatedly looked piss poor in the league.

He really doesn't. There are 50 players (top 5 leagues) that are born in 2000 or later that have played more league minutes than Phil has done this season and I'd say he's the most talented player of them all. That you compare him to Rashford who is starting every game is just silly since their differences in playing time is huge. No-one is saying that Phil should start every week, but he definitely deserves more than just 250 minutes of league football.
They are not trying to get into a team like ours,kev said phil is playing more total mins than he did at his age

They are not trying to get into a team like ours,kev said phil is playing more total mins than he did at his age

Kev has a shit memory.

He'd played 4577 minutes before turning 20.

Which means Foden needs to play 26 full 90 minute games before the end of the season to have played as much as Kev had at the same age.

To put that in perspective that would mean him playing 90 minutes in every league game, the League Cup semi and final, the FA Cup all the way through to the final and both legs of the Champions League last 16, quarter- and semi-finals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.