#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many years do we wait for "We have to blow teams out for Phil to get more than 2 minutes"? Same thing happened last year too, which fairly was his first year as part of the squad, but where is the development into his 2nd year?

Also, if we need a goal, and let's say David, Gundogan etc are playing. Do you not think a Phil Foden substitution can possibly make a difference? He is more of a goal threat than those 2.
Mate, I’m not sure how to say this any other way...he is not better than the other alternatives ahead of him, and thus only deserves cameos and the odd start AT THIS POINT.He is a DEVELOPING player, not the finished article. He isn’t better than Silva, Bernardo, Gundogan, Mahrez or Sterling, all of whom easily slot in on the left side of midfield.

But, I’m not even saying he isn’t good enough to play! All I’m saying is that he is being developed and he has to bide his time before becoming fully integrated into the first level rotation. He’s just not there yet. Sorry.

Mate, I’m not sure how to say this any other way...he is not better than the other alternatives ahead of him, and thus only deserves cameos and the odd start AT THIS POINT.He is a DEVELOPING player, not the finished article. He isn’t better than Silva, Bernardo, Gundogan, Mahrez or Sterling, all of whom easily slot in on the left side of midfield.

But, I’m not even saying he isn’t good enough to play! All I’m saying is that he is being developed and he has to bide his time before becoming fully integrated into the first level rotation. He’s just not there yet. Sorry.
I am replying to your second one, because after reading your first reply, I don't even understand what you mean because you aren't even quoting me when you say "looking good in games" I never said that. Obviously if you play well in games you are afforded more opportunities (Phil doesn't get that, and Pep doesn't hold others to the same standard), I referenced training specifically.

You can't change the language. I am not saying he is "BETTER" than any of those players, better at what? That says nothing. Don't over complicate things. I am asking you this simply:

We have a midfield bench option of Gundogan and Foden, we need to score to win, who do you sub?

I am actually curious with the answer, I don't want mental gymnastics.

I am replying to your second one, because after reading your first reply, I don't even understand what you mean because you aren't even quoting me when you say "looking good in games" I never said that. Obviously if you play well in games you are afforded more opportunities (Phil doesn't get that, and Pep doesn't hold others to the same standard), I referenced training specifically.

You can't change the language. I am not saying he is "BETTER" than any of those players, better at what? That says nothing. Don't over complicate things. I am asking you this simply:

We have a midfield bench option of Gundogan and Foden, we need to score to win, who do you sub?

I am actually curious with the answer, I don't want mental gymnastics.
Wasn’t trying to play games.

You are trying to make a simple “him or him” distinction that doesn’t exist in reality. You might see it that way, but I don’t think Pep does. You are saying a left midfielder is a left midfielder is a left midfielder. I’m saying Pep doesn’t see it that way, nor do I.

Indeed, in your question, I need to know who is on the field and being replaced, and why?

He is a first team player only in name, he isn't in actuality.

I understand most people's opinions on here, nobody should be gifted anything, sure that's fine. But have his displays not earned him more game time? I think most people would agree he has "earned" it, and not "gifted" it.

Training also doesn't perfectly reflect what a player is like in a game, we have seen this disproven many times, where players in training are great at penalties, then on the field crumble, and there are quotes of this.

Or where Pep says, of a player who plays very poorly one game, "In training he looks great so I played him". Obviously thats fine and all, but you can't completely equate the two.
From what the players have said trainig is intense and at full speed,pep makes his decision on many things

Wasn’t trying to play games.

You are trying to make a simple “him or him” distinction that doesn’t exist in reality. You might see it that way, but I don’t think Pep does. You are saying a left midfielder is a left midfielder is a left midfielder. I’m saying Pep doesn’t see it that way, nor do I.

Indeed, in your question, I need to know who is on the field and being replaced, and why?
Huh? Why the pointless complexity.

What do you mean why? I stated very clearly, we want to score a goal and win the game! The point of the question (which is the point of all of this) is to ask does Foden merit more minutes, and so I framed the question about needing to score goals as his directness is better than most of our midfielders in this regard.

You keep changing the question or putting words in my mouth. I don't see how the discussion can carry forward, so let's stop there I guess.

Yes it is indeed baffling that Pep makes a point of giving Bravo who has no future more starts than Foden. Correct.
He is the back up goalkeeper ffs! If he never plays, what happens if our keeper goes down in an important game? He’s trying to get him game time in the Vup games, because he needs him in his game if he is ever needed.

This isn’t rocket science, mate. Come on...

Huh? Why the pointless complexity.

What do you mean why? I stated very clearly, we want to score a goal and win the game! The point of the question (which is the point of all of this) is to ask does Foden merit more minutes, and so I framed the question about needing to score goals as his directness is better than most of our midfielders in this regard.

You keep changing the question or putting words in my mouth. I don't see how the discussion can carry forward, so let's stop there I guess.
You said we need a goal, who goes on: Foden or Gundogan?

My question is “who is coming off and why?” Without that answer, it’s impossible to know, because KDB might be moved up if Gundogan goes on, which is a better attacking option than Foden. Or, Mahrez is coming off and so Foden comes in on the left wing and maybe Sterling goes over on the right. Or, maybe, maybe, maybe...

You seem to think there are round holes and square holes and Foden fills one, while Gundogan fills the other. I’m telling you that is both simplistic and naive. Pep doesn’t play this way, and you should know this by now. In fact, he often takes off one player, puts on a NON-like for like, makes a change in formation, takes a look, and then 10 mins later puts on another sub and that helps make both of them like for like!

He is the back up goalkeeper ffs! If he never plays, what happens if our keeper goes down in an important game? He’s trying to get him game time in the Vup games, because he needs him in his game if he is ever needed.

This isn’t rocket science, mate. Come on...

Could say the same for one of our ‘back up’ midfielder.

Then again, if 4 of our 6 or so midfielders were struck out, Pep would probably play Bravo and Carson there to keep them fresh, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.