#47 | Phil Foden - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised there's not more activity in here after that performance. I thought he was right up there in terms of our best players.

Has to play every week whether it's wide or in the middle.

A WC player in the making.
I thought he did ok yesterday to be honest. Works incredibly hard but he has more quality to show.

Great performance. His workrate is phenomenal. Exactly why he should have started against Lyon, but let's forget about that pain now.

So many times he tracks back and it forces the opposing player to check their attack. That gives time for everyone else to recover positionally. We looked incredible in that first half, so balanced. Rodri and Ferny were mopping up anything that came past the front 4 (KDB as part of that). Walker and Mendy were tight to the wolves wingers to stop them turning or getting in behind and Stones and Ake then had it fairly easy and dealt with anything they had to really well.

Foden can play in the middle too, depending on the opposition. If you replace Ferny with him and bring Torres in the wide role then you just have even more energy in there. It would just be about ensuring Foden/De Bruyne didn't both press the same areas.

He’s one of our best pressers, along with Jesus and KDB. That’s fantastic for a young player to be so unselfish and do the hard work for the team. He’s ahead of Bernardo in the pecking order for me, on both the wing and in the middle.

Funny that we're at a point that we should rather rest him in the League Cup. We need his energy throughout the season in the most important games. Well that and his skill. :)

I thought he did ok yesterday to be honest. Works incredibly hard but he has more quality to show.

I agree with him having more quality to show and he could've done better on a couple of occasions near the goal.

However, I was really impressed with his use of the ball and in the 2nd half he was the most effective outlet and made the right decision 9 times out of 10 - especially when it was being given away by others with more experience.

That's why Pep was so complimentary about his 2nd half performance and he'll keep getting better and better.

Played really well, first game, no preseason and nearly up to full speed

Brilliant performance from him last night, goal threat too, with Jesus being so mobile it frees up space for Foden. This works well.

Anyway, I'm just going to say it like I see it.

He is the 2nd best player at the club.

Kevin
Foden
Sterling

1, 2, 3 in that order. There, I said it. :)

A year changes so much ! Year back, this thread would have been surprised at him starting (more down to us not starting him before) and now its become normalcy. Lad is going to be here forever. He is now stamping his authority on the game and isn't another youth player we carry along. Has the obvious Lampard type knack in the box and plays some really neat football to open the opposition defense. A lot like David Silva.
Think he would do much better rotating with Gundogan than Silva, Mahrez. A midfield three of Rodri, Fernandinho and Foden would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.