#47 | Phil Foden - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, but I meant consistently one of our best players. On current form (stretching from the restart) he is one of the best right now, but that could (and likely will) change. He’s young, we have a long, congested campaign ahead, his form will likely dip at some point, and he’ll temporarily move down the ranking for a time.

I am as excited as the next blue, as my posts illustrate, but I reckon we (and he) would benefit immensely by keeping our expectations reasonable and grounded in current frame of reference, giving him time to fully develop in to the consistently world class talent we all can see is possible. I think we need to avoid giving him the Michael Johnson treatment, building him up so far that the only real direction is down (it wasn’t the only thing that lead to Johnson’s struggles, of course, but the weight of expectation didn’t help). The media will do that enough without his own supporters aiding them. It’s been the downfall of many promising talents in the past and I want to avoid it with Phil.

We need to stay patient, even when the quality of his performances may degrade at times, and remain encouraging. Most of his future is on him, the club, and luck. But a tiny sliver is on us to do what we can to nurture and support, especially in a time of social media scrutiny and pressure (i.e. he’ll be even more aware of collective expectations than in generations past; the club and the media are no longer the great filter).

All I want is success and glory for the lad, and I am willing to remain calm and patient to see it happen.

And I have every reason to think it will.

Agree on the nurture, however, there’s a question to be addressed regarding Johnson, he has openly stated that he didn’t love the game enough, in fact he’d rather of been anywhere other than.being on the pitch, something you can’t attach to Foden from most sources, that desire is what will drive him to the top, but slowly as you stated, it’s so important and I’ve used the Gazza comparison above!

Agree on the nurture, however, there’s a question to be addressed regarding Johnson, he has openly stated that he didn’t love the game enough, in fact he’d rather of been anywhere other than.being on the pitch, something you can’t attach to Foden from most sources, that desire is what will drive him to the top, but slowly as you stated, it’s so important and I’ve used the Gazza comparison above!
Valid point.

But, although I obviously can’t know for sure, I would wager the weight of expectation as he rose in the ranks — perhaps not from supporters just yet but definitely from others — contributed to that. As did the hopes and dreams from all of us later.

That said, I agree, I don’t think Foden suffers from that... yet. That could very well change. It has for others and it could for him. It definitely contributed to Gazza’s struggles. It’s especially likely if the media hacks and haters really get to him, which is now easier than ever because of the direct engagement possible (which thankfully Johnson largely did not have to deal with to the same degree, as it would likely have made things much, much worse). He has talked about how some of it effected him, but most of it was via traditional media treatment, not social media attacks. Young people today take that very seriously, as it is their community, in some ways more real than their in-person relationships, for better or worse.

That’s where our patience and support can have an effect, even if minor. Foden will still get pelters from the media and those that want to see him fail (and there are many) — there’s really nothing that can be done there.

But we can at least do our small part in providing a positive, nurturing zone, whenever he needs it.

And we should do it with Doyle, Delap, THB, Bernabe, Garcia, and all the other young blues. Even the ones that eventually leave. Really, we should be doing it for everyone, but that’s a different discussion.

Anyway, that’s my idealist call to arms for the month done. ;-)

I wonder if he starts against Leicester?

He's played almost 170 minutes in these last 2 games, I think more than any other player.

Ran alot, wouldn't be shocked if he got a rest, although Leicester is not the team I want him rested against.

He's played almost 170 minutes in these last 2 games, I think more than any other player.

Ran alot, wouldn't be shocked if he got a rest, although Leicester is not the team I want him rested against.

We need him. He seems to have a lot of energy so fingers crossed he has enough in the tank

Valid point.

But, although I obviously can’t know for sure, I would wager the weight of expectation as he rose in the ranks — perhaps not from supporters just yet but definitely from others — contributed to that. As did the hopes and dreams from all of us later.

That said, I agree, I don’t think Foden suffers from that... yet. That could very well change. It has for others and it could for him. It definitely contributed to Gazza’s struggles. It’s especially likely if the media hacks and haters really get to him, which is now easier than ever because of the direct engagement possible (which thankfully Johnson largely did not have to deal with to the same degree, as it would likely have made things much, much worse). He has talked about how some of it effected him, but most of it was via traditional media treatment, not social media attacks. Young people today take that very seriously, as it is their community, in some ways more real than their in-person relationships, for better or worse.

That’s where our patience and support can have an effect, even if minor. Foden will still get pelters from the media and those that want to see him fail (and there are many) — there’s really nothing that can be done there.

But we can at least do our small part in providing a positive, nurturing zone, whenever he needs it.

And we should do it with Doyle, Delap, THB, Bernabe, Garcia, and all the other young blues. Even the ones that eventually leave. Really, we should be doing it for everyone, but that’s a different discussion.

Anyway, that’s my idealist call to arms for the month done. ;-)
Raheem has been through the mincer. I really hope he acts as a mentor for Phil to help him through the media/social media minefield.

Raheem has been through the mincer. I really hope he acts as a mentor for Phil to help him through the media/social media minefield.
I am sure he is.

I seem to remember Phil saying something to the effect of Raz offering advice and support, but I could be fabricating that.

My memory is not what it used to be. :-)

Start him against Leicester and rest him vs Burnley, play Palmer or Nmecha instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.