#47 | Phil Foden - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did. Are you saying his current performances are that of a £30,000 player in today’s market?
No, I said he has just signed a deal so whats the rush? I also said £80k to £90k would suffice if he comes off a good season. As it stands he has done nothing to warrant a new contract so soon after just signing one. We are only a few games into his first important first team player season. My main point is £150k is ludicrous. Would you say he is a £150k player? What is/was Sane on? At the end of the season, if he has had a good season offer the sums above. This is how inflation happens. Offering large sums to young talent as the better they get the more they get. What is the rush?

No, I said he has just signed a deal so whats the rush? I also said £80k to £90k would suffice if he comes off a good season. As it stands he has done nothing to warrant a new contract so soon after just signing one. We are only a few games into his first important first team player season. My main point is £150k is ludicrous. Would you say he is a £150k player? What is/was Sane on? At the end of the season, if he has had a good season offer the sums above. This is how inflation happens. Offering large sums to young talent as the better they get the more they get. What is the rush?
No, I don’t believe he is currently a £150,000 player, however like I said, the report will no doubt be exaggerated.

He will be in line for a new and improved deal because that is what his performances deserve since the restart of last season. It won’t be £150,000, but it’ll certainly be more than his current contract.

Simply put, he is not a £30,000 player and to want to continue to pay him that figure on the basis that he supports the club is simply wrong.

If we give increased contracts when deserved despite players being on long contracts at lower rates, it makes it much easier to bring in players on sensible contracts. Play well we'll look after you. Blow out, not as big a problem.
And sometimes the offer is worth more if he hasn't pushed for it.

No, I don’t believe he is currently a £150,000 player, however like I said, the report will no doubt be exaggerated.

He will be in line for a new and improved deal because that is what his performances deserve since the restart of last season. It won’t be £150,000, but it’ll certainly be more than his current contract.

Simply put, he is not a £30,000 player and to want to continue to pay him that figure on the basis that he supports the club is simply wrong.
I agree that the £150k is most likely exaggerated. That is my main objection here. That amount. We live in a time now though where footballers are being paid daft money so you never know.

"Simply put, he is not a £30,000 player and to want to continue to pay him that figure on the basis that he supports the club is simply wrong."

Hence why I said when he does something to warrant a raise at the end of the season, give it him. Maybe my wording wansn't the best as looking I did put wait till he is in his last year, I meant for 150k+ money. At this point what do you think he has done to earn a new deal that is significantly more than he is on now? If his deal was nearing an end then fair enough but it isn't. Would you get a promotion or raise at work for showing flashes of brilliance or would you get one for consistently being brilliant and a key team member? Thats all I'm saying mate. Let him show us what he can really do consistently for at least one season before chucking a big new deal at him. If he's happy with what he's on then wait. If he say's I want a new deal for x amount or I wanna leave (which is unlikely as he's a City fan) midway through this season then we have no choice but to give him a new deal. Until that point or till the end of the season we are best just waiting until he has at least had one season as a regular and shown us his worth. He could be worth more than what was quoted and then we need to give him another deal. Who knows, but big contracts too soon can put added preassure on too and have negative consequences. Slacking and taking their foot off the gas etc and it can slow/halt development. Money can be just as bad as good at a young age. Let him earn it. Patience is all I'm saying is needed. I am not saying keep him on 30k for a few years because he's a City fan though. Far from it. Just that if he's happy then wait. If he gets better and is a regular first team player then pay the lad his worth.

Last edited:
Let’s put it this way, if United had a bid accepted for him, how much would that be? £100M+ IMO. He’d be paid over £200k p/w too. That’s what he is worth, I’d give him £130k now and a two year extension for the progression since he signed the current contract, looks good to the other graduates as well.

He's. A. Fucking. Midfielder.

Not a left winger, not even a right winger even though he can do a job there. He is at his best when he is in the middle behind the striker playing quick passes and making things happen. Sticking him on the left wing when Mendy will just plod up and stand in his space is never going to get the best out of him. Play him in fucking midfield.

Should have played him at right back today and then at least somebody would have passed the ball to him. Walker must have touched the ball about 300 times and did the square root of nothing with it. How Foden got subbed ahead of Sterling and Mahrez is staggering.

Man of the match mid week against Bournemouth, played in his natural midfield position, controlled the game.
Then hey presto shove him on the left wing and he's out of the game, please Pep, stop messing around with this lad, he is a generational talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.