Philippe Petit

mackenzie

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/newyork/pe ... petit.html

Read an article about this bloke the other day. Bit too young to remember it actually happening, but this is the man who walked a tightrope between the twin towers of the World Trade Centre.

Everytime I read it or see photos of it my heart pounds and my hands get all sweaty.

Truly amazing. But don't you have to be a tiny bit crazy to do that sort of thing??

"He was bouncing up and down..." said an eye witness.
Good GOD!

Gaudino said:
I can't go any higher than a step ladder, so truly terrifies me.

I too have a fear of heights. Was once reduced to nearly having to call in for help to walk when I was at the top of Blackpool Tower (this was the first time I realised it).

Am OK with cliffs etc etc it's just the man made things that I have a problem with.

Have you seen the pics of Petit??

mackenzie said:
Gaudino said:
I can't go any higher than a step ladder, so truly terrifies me.

I too have a fear of heights. Was once reduced to nearly having to call in for help to walk when I was at the top of Blackpool Tower (this was the first time I realised it).

Am OK with cliffs etc etc it's just the man made things that I have a problem with.

Have you seen the pics of Petit??

I am exactly same, cliffs etc fine, but ladders, or buildings after a certain height, or worst of all rollercoasters.....a wreck.
Though suprisingly did ok up Empire State Building, and Twin Towers!
That mad French bloke is something else though.

I've done the BIG rollercoaster at Blackpool only once.

It was the Easter weekend and the queues were really bad. A group of about 8 of us went and 2 of us stayed out of the rollercoaster ride. However, as much as it pains me to say, the queues were 45 minutes long and I was stuck with the most boring person on the planet, so when the original 6 decided to have another go I rather hastily decided to join them.

The first steep rise and then the feeling that there is NOTHING beneath you is not something I want to repeat. Ever.

As for those rollercoasters that are attached to high rise buildings in the States.........................

It is possible to lose your fear of heights. I used to be afraid of heights but after spending a few years operating one of these, I was ok.

Red-Nose-Wind-Turbine-Bronto-Skylift%20(2).JPG

BLUENATIC said:
jeez christ Stony ... how did you do it? I shit meself in a scissor lift!

haha, I shit myself in scissor lifts, those things are dodgy as fuck. I'd rather be 35 metres up on a telescopic boom than 5 metres in a scissor.
You get used to it after a while. When I had my interview, part of it was being taken up in the biggest boom they have in the yard, the one I went up in was a 28m(98ft in old money) Then they watch your reaction. I was shitting bricks but I really wanted the job and I had already been pre-warned on what they frown upon. So holding on with two hands was a no-no. First six months on the job I shit bricks every day but then I just got used to it. After a couple of years I was happy enough to sit on the edge of the cage without a harness whilst at full stick.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.