Pivotal question. How do we best manage in defensive midfield?

Mancini Manus Domini

How do we get to the business end of the Premier League and Champions League with one of our players playing at their best in this position?

Fernandinho, Gundogon or Zinchenko seem to be the obvious candidates.

Will Fernandinho retire from international football? Will we rotate from the Champions League group matches to Premier League games? Can we get Fernandinho to April and May fresh and in the form of his life?

Can Gundogon make the position his own?

How many Premier League games could Zinchenko realistically help out with? Is he only likely to get games in the cup?

Is there a left field option? With the addition of Mahrez and the emergence of Foden and Diaz could De Bruyne or Silva be converted to this role?

Finally there is John Stones. Was Pep serious about him when he said he could play there? Do we have enough cover at Centre Half if he could make the position his own?

You ask a lot of questions. Are you a policeman?

the club obviously tried to address this position this summer, and didn't (couldn't?), but i'd say there's not too much to worry about yet.

Fernandinho will require a bit more rotation, we need him pretty fit from Feb onwards, so perhaps we'll be seeing a bit more of Delph & Gundogan for league games (all 20 games against the bottom 10?).

this could be looked at again in the winter break though

You ask a lot of questions. Are you a policeman?

Haha! On reflection I could have framed my argument better. At least I took one break in the 2nd paragraph! In answer to your question no I'm not a policeman, besides don't they just give you a crime number these days and be done with it.

Fernandinho for the tougher games, and I think Gundogan will be fine there for many matches, particularly at home. In an emergency Stones, Delph or Zinchenko (or possibly even Danilo) could fill in.

the club obviously tried to address this position this summer, and didn't (couldn't?), but i'd say there's not too much to worry about yet.

Fernandinho will require a bit more rotation, we need him pretty fit from Feb onwards, so perhaps we'll be seeing a bit more of Delph & Gundogan for league games (all 20 games against the bottom 10?).

this could be looked at again in the winter break though

I forgot about Delph. He will be more viable than Zinchenko I guess.

20 games is a lot of rotation but if Fernandinho is our best option I agree, it needs to happen.

I forgot about Delph. He will be more viable than Zinchenko I guess.

20 games is a lot of rotation but if Fernandinho is our best option I agree, it needs to happen.

i just plucked a number from thin air and for Fernandinho to play 50% of league games is perhaps a stretch but i cant see how he can be at his best for the CL knockouts (should we get there) if he's played 30 odd league and cup games by mid Feb.

Haha! On reflection I could have framed my argument better. At least I took one break in the 2nd paragraph! In answer to your question no I'm not a policeman, besides don't they just give you a crime number these days and be done with it.

Ha. I think Delph is more than capable of rotating. What we needed was a replacement for when Fern leaves and we couldn’t do it but we will maybe not this season though. We’ve got enough options to keep Fern fresh.

Fernandinho for the tougher games, and I think Gundogan will be fine there for many matches, particularly at home. In an emergency Stones, Delph or Zinchenko (or possibly even Danilo) could fill in.

This makes a lot of sense, with some home games when we playing high line.

I wonder if there are times we will play a 3,4,2,1 formation against the very best attacking teams. That would mean something like:

Eddie

Laporte
Stones
Komps/Ota

Kyle
Gundo/Delph
Dinho
Mendy

Kev
Bernardo/Dave

Kun

Without the ball, that would become a 5,2,2,1. With the ball 3,2,4,1

It would give Fern more support when he most needs it. Could see it working against the dippers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.