Player thread: James Milner (2014/15)

cleavers said:
He should never have been trusted in that position, not least against Barcelona, and even more not least alongside Fernando, a really stupid decision.

His energy was impressive,his ability not so much......last night showed,without any doubt whatsoever,just how huge the gulf in class was between him and genuine talent.

A fantastic squad option but never in a million years should he be a first choice pick against a team of the stature of Barca - like several last night,he was well out of his depth.

The fact he isn't signing that contract is perhaps a blessing,its certainly a golden opportunity to attain the services of a far more influential replacement.

This.

I love Milner for his effort and his hard work. But this is the absolute minimum you should expect from a pro footballer.

Last night confirmed to me that him leaving in the summer will be a way to improve the team rather than weaken it.

FantasyIreland said:
cleavers said:
He should never have been trusted in that position, not least against Barcelona, and even more not least alongside Fernando, a really stupid decision.

His energy was impressive,his ability not so much......last night showed,without any doubt whatsoever,just how huge the gulf in class was between him and genuine talent.

A fantastic squad option but never in a million years should he be a first choice pick against a team of the stature of Barca - like several last night,he was well out of his depth.

The fact he isn't signing that contract is perhaps a blessing,its certainly a golden opportunity to attain the services of a far more influential replacement.

cleavers said:

This. Madness and as many predicted when the team sheet was read out, it would end badly. It did..

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
cleavers said:

This. Madness and as many predicted when the team sheet was read out, it would end badly. It did..

not so much a negative against milner, but wrong pairing in the wrong formation = first half shoeing

I'm normally one of the ones to criticise Milner, but I don't think he really could do much last night. Him and Fernando were always going to be chasing shadows playing in a two against Barca, especially with 3 of the 4 players in front of them not doing any chasing (thank fuck for Spanish Dave). They were doomed to fail before the game even started, but I thought they actually did better than I expected. We should never have been playing that system, I don't think any two players would have found life much easier in that scenario.

My only real criticism, is that he takes too long getting the ball our of his feet to play CM at this level.

Can't believe he was kept on for 90 minutes, should have been the first one taken off when Fernandinho came on. Clearly not one hundred percent and could barely run by 70 mins.

Basic, very basic is what he is, he works very hard but in the end it's basic. Love him for his work rate and it proved last night that his lack of talent can't make up the gap against the very top teams. Anyway he was MOTM last night by a mile, or so a fella on the tram home said !

FantasyIreland said:
cleavers said:

I'm not even sure that he isn't worth a starting place in a game like last night, just not there, against their midfield and attack, nothing he could about it, and I felt sorry for him being put in that position. He's a decent wide player, and his effort and enthusiasm are always useful in a game like that.

The sub of Nasri should have been made before half time, to get Fernandhino's energy on the pitch, and Milner where he offers better.

I've never been convinced that Milner is much good in CM, and putting him there against their front 3 and midfield trio was pure folly especially alongside Fernando, who is at best struggling to settle here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.