Player thread: James Milner (2014/15)

If Liverpool intend to play him every game as a central midfielder, I'm all for it. For a long time there was a myth on here that CM was his best position, but I think it's become pretty clear to everyone that it's not. He's a defensive wide player who can do a cracking job pressing high up or covering his fullback, but as far as playing centrally goes, I've not seen him do well there since his Villa days when they played wide open counter attacking football. Stick him in a tight space and he struggles. Him and Henderson as a CM pairing sounds pretty hilarious tbh, a lot of running around though

Bluebee2 said:
blueonblue said:
F*ck me but there are some proper c*nts on this thread !

Yes he had a poor game by his usual standards, not helped by clearly not being 100% fit, and, as pointed out by others played in a pairing and position that did him and us no favors.

But to start driveling on about a lack of talent and replacing him with better "quality" is the mark of a true pumpkin, get a f*cking grip.

Not drivel matey, if you think that Milner is a top top midfielder who is where City need to be then we will never make the next progression. He is a good player, but is he really quality enough for us, yes he has work rate but that is not enough, you seen them last night especially first half, quality and work rate, that's what is needed to progress. Would Milner get in any of the following teams :- Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern, Psg, Chelsea, I'll say no so how come he's get's in ours !

Something of a spurious argument given that you could level that accusation at virtually every player in the City squad bar Aguero, Ya Ya and Silva. Milner is an excellent asset for City, and whilst he may have been found wanting against 2 or 3 super elite teams, there have been countless other occasions when we have benefitted from his more prosaic attributes. Last night was no place to judge him. He was set up to fail

Bluebee2 said:
blueonblue said:

Yes he had a poor game by his usual standards, not helped by clearly not being 100% fit, and, as pointed out by others played in a pairing and position that did him and us no favors.

But to start driveling on about a lack of talent and replacing him with better "quality" is the mark of a true pumpkin, get a f*cking grip.

Not drivel matey, if you think that Milner is a top top midfielder who is where City need to be then we will never make the next progression. He is a good player, but is he really quality enough for us, yes he has work rate but that is not enough, you seen them last night especially first half, quality and work rate, that's what is needed to progress. Would Milner get in any of the following teams :- Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern, Psg, Chelsea, I'll say no so how come he's get's in ours !

Not only would he not get in those teams, although he' s always in the England squad he is behind a whole group of players in the pecking order a whole group that also wouldn't get in those teams, if we have a half decent summer window he'll be nowhere near the first team and I think he knows that and will be off.

Exeter Blue I am here said:
Bluebee2 said:
blueonblue said:

Something of a spurious argument given that you could level that accusation at virtually every player in the City squad bar Aguero, Ya Ya and Silva. Milner is an excellent asset for City, and whilst he may have been found wanting against 2 or 3 super elite teams, there have been countless other occasions when we have benefitted from his more prosaic attributes. Last night was no place to judge him. He was set up to fail

Apparently we are attempting to take our club to another level, in my opinion we will not get to that level when James Milner starts in the team.

For me he's a decent squad player. The last couple of seasons when we've had injuries he's come in and he's done ok - in some games he's done very well. But he's never going to boss the midfield like Ya Ya does and he's certaintly not of the calibre to play in a 2 man midfield against top quality opposition (certaintly not alongside a poor CM like Fernando!). He's had a lot of games when we've had players out but when we have a full squad he's not going to first choice. Therein lies the problem - he thinks he warrants a start in our first choice 11.

I'm not sure he would be an automatic starter in any top PL team to be honest. If thinks he will be better off elsewhere then good luck to him - I think City may miss his versatility and his almost constant availability but there are plenty of players out there who can offer the same.

Milner on Tuesday delivered another shovel handed British slap in the face of all those people who claim Pellegrini learns from his mistakes. The last time Milner played in central midfield in the CL was against Bayern, he was a disaster and got hooked at half time. He's absolutely nowhere near the level required to play in central midfield in the Champions League.

I'd love him to sign a new contract, great character to have in the squad, does a brilliant job in a wide defensive role against top sides. But centre mid in a 442? Never again please.

Shaelumstash said:
Milner on Tuesday delivered another shovel handed British slap in the face of all those people who claim Pellegrini learns from his mistakes. The last time Milner played in central midfield in the CL was against Bayern, he was a disaster and got hooked at half time. He's absolutely nowhere near the level required to play in central midfield in the Champions League.

I'd love him to sign a new contract, great character to have in the squad, does a brilliant job in a wide defensive role against top sides. But centre mid in a 442? Never again please.

And yet the lad remains convinced he's a central midfielder on the site today when asked what his best position is (see Etihad Player of the Month footage)

Apparently because he thinks his fitness allows him to 'get forward and get back'

Deluded.

Shaelumstash said:

What's that Skip? Milner had a pretty good game away to Bayern in December 2013 scoring the winning goal after City were bum raped in the first 20 mins of the first half? Christ! Thanks Skip!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.