Player thread: Vincent Kompany (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another shaky performance we have another tough decision to make in replacing Kompany as captain in the summer.

RandomJ said:
I just don't think I've ever seen a player fall so fast from world class to pub team player. Is it the injuries? Has he believed his own hype? Is it the tactics? He's a shadow of what he was.

As I've said a few times in this thread to the dismay of some, he isn't a bad player but his response to challenging circumstances are to attempt to do too much and not only do his but everybody else's job too.

Often leads to him diving in, or charging out of his defensive line which a quick give-and-go can turn him, or just generally leaving him one on one out wide when we need someone dealing with the centre.

It's like he doesn't trust the players around him or is trying to set an example. Someone nailed it earlier when they said that he begins to do "Hollywood defending" when the chips are down and it exacerbates the problem instead of solving.

Damocles said:
RandomJ said:
I just don't think I've ever seen a player fall so fast from world class to pub team player. Is it the injuries? Has he believed his own hype? Is it the tactics? He's a shadow of what he was.

As I've said a few times in this thread to the dismay of some, he isn't a bad player but his response to challenging circumstances are to attempt to do too much and not only do his but everybody else's job too.

Often leads to him diving in, or charging out of his defensive line which a quick give-and-go can turn him, or just generally leaving him one on one out wide when we need someone dealing with the centre.

It's like he doesn't trust the players around him or is trying to set an example. Someone nailed it earlier when they said that he begins to do "Hollywood defending" when the chips are down and it exacerbates the problem instead of solving.
This is true, but it's worth adding a bit of nuance here;

He's always been a ball-winning CH who excels bringing the ball forward. But from the very start of last season, he started coming out to win the ball far more. What changed at the start of last season? I have to think it was a coaching decision as others made similar changes to their style. It's similar to how Barca and Real play against the weaker teams in their league - the CB has relatively little work to do but a lot of it is crucial, last gasp stuff, or winning the ball extremely early.

In addition to this, Mancini compensated by playing him with very conservative partners - Nastasic's quality is up for argument but his wait-and-cover approach made him a good match. Demi came in and things got worse, because he was playing on the front foot - then he both settled into the PL, and seemingly started playing a bit deeper.

Mangala is a good prospect but I can't for the life of me see how he compliments VK. I can't think of a single attribute or trait in his game that makes me hopeful here.

Also, under Mancini, VK's aggressive style and tendancy to bring the ball way out, was covered by the third DM. As things have progressed under Pellegrini, he's gone the opposite route, no defensive midfield shield, CB not bringing the ball into the opposition half, instead he asks Yaya to drop back and dictate play from very deep.

Bollocks to binning him off he is struggling as we have no midfield.

Being pulled out of position and trying to compensate for others.

He looked poor again tonight .
I agree he needs more protection .
But we don't have many tackling centre midfield players .
The days of Gareth Barry and Nigel Dejong have gone .

Don't think he had so many individual mistakes today apart from the one on the beginning. Our defence as whole was ripped apart at their will.

The evidence is piling up that our midfield are exposing our defence more and more, though that's not saying our defenders haven't had bad games personally this season.

He lacks protection ion front of him but there were times when he was all over the place tonight, getting turned easily and caught on the ball.

I just hope he hasn't done a Vidic and see injuries ruin him.

bitsmith said:
Don't think he had so many individual mistakes today apart from the one on the beginning. Our defence as whole was ripped apart at their will.

It's interesting how people can watch the same game and see things so differently. I thought Demichelis was all over the place tonight.

J_Bow said:
The evidence is piling up that our midfield are exposing our defence more and more, though that's not saying our defenders haven't had bad games personally this season.
Its definitely like Rourkes drift back there, at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.