Player topic : Yaya Toure (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a tricky conundrum the Yaya one but personally I don't believe he cannot play in a midfield two. I think our results with him playing in that position, even this season, suggests that people are overreacting by suggesting he's finished in that position. I also think that playing him as a number 10 is frankly, a nonsense with the players we have in that position. Pellegrini was wrong to start with him there yesterday, and even wronger to persevere with him playing there beyond the first 45 when it was clear that he was having minimal impact in the final third. It was noticeable to me that throughout the match Pellegrini spent a lot of time imploring Toure to push further forward.

I agree with pretty much all that. Results and performances at the start of the season would seem to suggest that he's still capable of playing in a midfield two with Fernandinho. Where he gets exposed is when the game becomes too stretched, and that's a more general issue for us, particularly in Europe.
He should never be played as a No. 10, certainly not from the start of games. Possibly towards the end if, again, the game has become more stretched, but even there he's now less effective as he doesn't seem to have that real burst of pace anymore. In general, he's not very good ahead of the ball, and never really has been. I thought it was a bit predictable yesterday that the game would pass him by in that position.
It was telling in the first half that there was one moment when he came much deeper, played a couple of short balls, and then slapped a great ball in to Fernandinho that took out their entire midfield and led to Sterling having a chance (think Jones blocked it). That's where his strength lies. And when he's not in there, we struggle to get control of the ball and to get good accurate passes into the front players. It's a bit of a conundrum, but all things being equal, I still think our best bet is to play him alongside Fernandinho with four attacking players ahead of him. Though I'd also be quite interested to see him play as the deepest of a midfield three, ideally with Fernandinho and Delph either side of him.

Still showed his class at times yesterday and put a shift in 2 the problem is he can't play the role when silva is back
Sorry but 2 decent touches when he is meant to be one of our stars and game changers is not enough. We need to stop being sentimental

Time waits for no man and it is fast running out for Yaya. But he still has enough left in him for good use in the CFG over in New York where he would be one of the highest profile star names that could ever put that club on the map.

Time waits for no man and it is fast running out for Yaya. But he still has enough left in him for good use in the CFG over in New York where he would be one of the highest profile star names that could ever put that club on the map.
Completely agree, and that would also publicize city too

I still think yaya has a big future at city for at least another year but just not as a 90 minute man. Other managers and teams will still fear him but I think he's better utilized for 65 mins or so and then he starts to tire

One of our all time greats. The four trophies are probably more down to him than any other player. He can still do a job in a midfield two at home against weaker PL opposition but really that's it, for me,these days. I agree,it would be nice if he went onto NYC and then maybe returned as a football ambassador to Africa or some such role within the CFG.

Playing alongside Pirlo in the worlds least dynamic midfield in history? I can't imagine him ever going to the MLS, I think he'd more likely end up playing back in France or even out in the middle east like Xavi.

He is playing far too much football at the moment. The game yesterday showed he has less influence when in front of the ball, than when he is behind the ball. He needs to play mostly home games and be a sub in the away games. He definitely shouldn't be starting 3 games in a week.

For all his vagaries, Yaya is still the first one opposition managers don't want to see on our teamsheet.

I respect your opinion but his impact this season and last has been limited. Am I the only one who thinks that Yaya has far too high an opinion of himself and this is increasingly unsupported by performances? Time for him to go to Turkey/MLS I think where he can still be the big star. Thanks for everything, the stuff on the pitch has been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.