Players reportedly tell Pep to stop "tinkering"

For what it's worth, I doubt this is a completely fabricated story. Jack Gaughan is fairly well connected at City and wouldn't jeopardise that by just making something up out of the blue.
This is the key point that people either overlook or are unwilling to accept. Journalists are basically worthless without sources. Their entire job is to develop contacts within the club, nurture sources, and report based on that information. Obviously people still get stuff wrong, but the idea that someone is going to completely fabricate a story and piss off everyone at the club is very implausible. It doesn't make sense on any level.

My problem with this type of article, even when there is no truth in it, is it re-writes the narrative, and spoonfeeds a version of events, that once it sticks it is going nowhere.

The narrative is: we've been damn unlucky. With injuries, decisions, and goals not going in (part poor finishing, but part just luck, keepers making incredible saves, wrong side of the woodwork etc). Not: we've failed to win games because pep has tinkered.

So when we hit a period of consistency and wins and goals, and we will, it will become an accepted thing that pep tinkered the first half of the season, which cost us points, then the players told him to stop, and that made the difference.

This will be like the bloody 'sane has an attitude problem, his face is unhappy' bullshit line, say it enough and people will repeat it, and eventually beleive it.

Let's assume there's a kernel of truth in this. Setting aside how it's been spun by the journalist (it may be dishonourable, but that's what they do as a tribe, it's what they get paid for), I think it's a very good sign of the way Pep manages. A stark contrast to Ferguson, because if I remember it correctly, you virtually had to be a yes man in the dressing room. Tevez more or less said as much.
It doesn't mean that Pep necessarily has to act on what they say, or the direction that they're suggesting. But it does mean that he listens to them. Any management situation that isn't simply dictatorial should include that process.

I think this is the problem,we are rudderless without him,entirely predictable

Laporte on @VincentKompany: "He was splendid on the pitch, and off the pitch, as well. He was amazing in the locker room, he was top, like a captain. He helped me a lot. We miss him, but we have to do without [him]." [via @90min_Football]

Sorry but this paranoia is just weird. It's written by a guy with good sources who's well connected. Just because its a story you don't like doesn't make it "horseshit"
I agree,he doesn't keep them in for 45 mins and it was said on the doco he doesn't go into the locker room when we lose as he likes to collect his thoughts

This is the key point that people either overlook or are unwilling to accept. Journalists are basically worthless without sources. Their entire job is to develop contacts within the club, nurture sources, and report based on that information. Obviously people still get stuff wrong, but the idea that someone is going to completely fabricate a story and piss off everyone at the club is very implausible. It doesn't make sense on any level.

He isn't really fabricating a story though is he. He is taking a few obvious bits (changing line-ups), filling them in with a bit of obvious analysis, linking to something that did happen (players being in the changing room for a lenght of time), and filling in the rest and putting two and two together to claim the number he started off with. Then attributing thd whole lot to 'understanding' from 'sources'. Classic churnalism.

I think it needs less tinkering,players play well then get left out,i think he is over thinking,searching for a way to solve the probs,i don't think this helps
Pep Guardiola has made 76 changes to the Manchester City team in the Premier League this season - more than any other manager in the league. [via @Jack_Gaughan]
And still, Foden is on the outside looking in...

the-tinkerman.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.