Playing for professional pride

burning blue soul

sun, sand, sea....thats right, im at rhyl sun ctr
Looking at the comical state of utd at the moment got me thinking.

We play a lot of games where the opposition raise their game because they are playing the champions. It's a tough old slog sometimes, Sheffield United the other night is a classic example. Although to be fair to them they seem to play every game as if it's their last! But I digress.

I am losing my shit with players doing this when they play us, and then going back to normal mediocrity from then on. That utd team that beat us in our own back yard are nowhere near our level, but that day personal and professional pride took over (they did the same a couple of years back to stop us winning the league against them).

The same can be said for Norwich, they played exceptionally well, passing out from the back and movement (have they won a game since beating us?). Last night a struggling Burnley team did the same thing that utd did to us.

It goes to show that in most cases the ability is there, but not the desire.

I've watched a fair bit of Liverpool this season and they don't seem to get the same improvements in performance from the teams they are playing (maybe that will change next year when they are the ones to be shot at, metaphorically).

Anyway, your thoughts on this strange phenomena, and maybe you can remember some great upscaled performances in the past from city (or our opponents) that have surprised you.

Easy as a professional when you are paid lots anyway to lack the motivation that could be the difference between playing well and not

The rags v us & the dips is a perfect example of a team that puts so much effort into a game they're extra shit the following one.

Other teams are also cupable especially against us, I dare say if the points taken the following game for all teams after playing us in the next match were added together the stats would show a bottom 3 performance.

Hope that makes sense, it's early in the morning.

The rags v us & the dips is a perfect example of a team that puts so much effort into a game they're extra shit the following one.

Other teams are also cupable especially against us, I dare say if the points taken the following game for all teams after playing us in the next match were added together the stats would show a bottom 3 performance.

Hope that makes sense, it's early in the morning.
Crystal Palace a clear example.

We used to do the same when we were shit. Beat Utd one week and then get drilled by Charlton the next.

I get what you mean,I've thought it for ages,even more over last two seasons anyway,I mean an opposition managers pre match chat should be,look we are playing the champions today,get out there and show what you can do and compete,the world is watching kind of thing.

However,after the match,if they have been smashed,the cost of the squad,blah,blah,blah comes into play,from that said managers lips.

But even more bizarre is a week or two later the team that gave us a run for our money,play Liverpool,and look like a totally white flag waving side,I don't get it.

If we don't win the league this season,(LOL) let's hope teams have an attitude of up and at them v Liverpool next season...……..but they won't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.