Playing out from the back (The 'Ederson' Factor)

One thing has just occurred (although it may have previously been ventilated): when does the season officially start?

If it’s the Charity Shield then he (just) qualifies for the Young Player of the Year. If it’s the first Premier League game (and our first competitive game) then he does not.
11th August. Think he just qualifies, doubt he'll win it though.

Those stating he will utterly transform the way goalkeeping is played are overstating things a little. In the nicest possible way, he’s a freak. In 160 years or so of organised football I doubt there’s been more than a handful of players who can perform both a goalkeeping and an outfield role with such dexterity. The principal constraint that will be made on that claim is the limit that other goalkeepers’ passing (range and quality) will place on their ability to emulate Eddy.

Since the backpass law was introduced around a quarter of a century ago, ‘keepers have got better with their feet by necessity, but it hasn’t precipated a glut of goalies who are sublime passers, quite simply because the requisite talent isn’t there. If it was, it would have manifested itself, for reasons of its obvious advantage to their teams, without any discernible drawbacks. I simply can’t see any disadvantage to a ‘keeper being good with his feet in the modern game. As such, if that passing ability was present among ‘keepers over the last 25 years, then it would have revealed itself and we wouldn’t be remarking so effusively about Ederson.

He is an abnormal talent and as such efforts to fully replicate his game are almost certainly bound to fail. The advantage this will give us over the next few years cannot be overstated.

Some interesting points made.

I think, what we're seeing is the culture of 'just get rid of it!' being tested against 'controlling the game'. Inviting pressure back onto yourselves with random goalkeeper kicking is slowly being seen as a no-no.

I used to watch a lot of Neuer and Ter Stegen, but there's a level that Ederson brings to the table, that's even above those two.

It's not as if goalkeeping coaches didn't know about Neuer and Ter Stegen, but to see the styles brought to our shores changes things for the future coaching of the next gen.

Whilst Pep is forcing the game to look at itself, this is not a situation where Pep is saying 'follow his style', but more challenging clubs to be more creative than just 'painting by numbers'.

I, kind of, regret the myopic looking at Barca as just a team with all the best players, in the past rather than looking more closely, at what was being constructed at a macro level.

I can, now, understand why and how opposition fans look at us the way they do.

The ‘Pep Effect’ runs all the way down to Sunday League where managers are insisting teams play out from the back. Doesnt work when the goaly couldnt hit a barn door and the big galoot of the centre half couldnt pass water

The ‘Pep Effect’ runs all the way down to Sunday League where managers are insisting teams play out from the back. Doesnt work when the goaly couldnt hit a barn door and the big galoot of the centre half couldnt pass water
That's why those coaches are in Sunday League though. Systems should suit players.

That's why those coaches are in Sunday League though. Systems should suit players.
I think it will become the norm. Young children want to emulate their hero’s and I bet Ederson is certainly becoming one of them. As they get older their football teachers and coaches will develop it.
Of course the team, as posters have said, will need to adapt, but again I think defenders will enjoy this new way. Perhaps kids will enjoy playing in defence rather than one of forty midfielders?

The emphasis would be just clearing the lines. Ederson is a play maker and keeper, which is quite different to previous expectation.

Yer right, tbh. Young kids started doing or emulating Ederson's play and they would be on the bench for someone who could boot the ball into the other half wi' ne'er a bounce!

Ederson, unlike other goalkeepers, is also a footballer. It seems to be second nature to play cool and calm football with his feet, and then, as yesterday when a team is pressing and has nine or so players in our half, to launch it three quarters of the pitch, and with someone like Aguero on yer shoulder yer might like to have a brown kit on the lower half! He has brought another dimension to our game. Indeed, Jack Cork, after the Burnley game, praised him highly for confounding any attempt by his team tried to press and bottle up any outlet. He said he always seemed to find one and just 'sand wedge' it to someone's feet.

Its not just Edison though. You have to have defenders that first make the pass available then have the confidence on the ball to play through the opposing press.
Agreed but it’s more than that, the whole team are coached in this, if the opposition close down the defenders a m/f player will make himself available, if they are closed down the one of the forwards will drop in. Its obviously something they spend a lot of time on, it’s almost impossible to beat as they make sure there’s a player to pass to and that one then has options. The only way it goes wrong is when a player dailies on the ball. It’s so much better than when we had Joe Hart booting it up field, as Pep says “ the sooner it leaves you the sooner it comes back”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.