Pneumonia

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BigOscar, 30 Dec 2018.

1. Cityfan

Cityfan

If you don't believe me perhaps you will believe the British Thoracic society Guidelines
    https://www.nature.com/articles/pcrj201014

''Diagnosis and decision on hospital referral in primary care is based on clinical judgement and the CRB-65 score. Unlike some other respiratory infections (e.g. acute bronchitis) an antibiotic is always indicated when a clinical diagnosis of pneumonia is made''

2. Barcon

Barcon

Good luck getting antibiotics off your doctor over here. I don’t even bother going in anymore.

3. crazyadi

crazyadi

I know plenty of medics who wouldn't. We have an antibiotics crisis, not a single medic I know would prescribe antibiotics for a pneumonia until tests are conclusive there is also some very specific differences between viral and bacterial too. Infection markers look different in viral pneumonia for a start. If, as Karen says, they are at deaths door then they would give a broad spectrum Abx but that's the only time they would prescribe blind and that's because viral pneumonia rarely has people at deaths door so there is a huge likelihood it would be bacterial.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2019
  4. crazyadi

crazyadi

I didn't say Drs wouldn't, I said there shouldn't be a single Dr who would. The issue we have with antibiotics is because some, not all, GPs do this. They shouldn't, just like hospital Drs won't.

5. crazyadi

crazyadi

Unless the clinical diagnosis is due to a virus.

6. Cityfan

Cityfan

Don't know how many Medics you know mate but this is simply not true.

7. BimboBob

BimboBob

Damn. Had you on the sweepstake.

8. BlueMedic

BlueMedic

Afraid this isn't true. No A&E doctor is waiting for conclusive results as to viral or bacterial pathology, they're getting a chest X-ray & a set of bloods because they come back quickly, then if there's evidence of infection antibiotics will be given - no one will be waiting for cultures as there's simply no time for that. They'll use scoring systems (i.e. CURB-65) & clinical experience to guide where the patient then goes (i.e. home/admission).

nimrod likes this.
  9. nimrod

nimrod

Correct.

mancityvstoke likes this.
  10. Blue Maverick

Blue Maverick

Probably not mate he’s a bit of a knobhead if I’m honest

Indaparkside likes this.