Pneumonia

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BigOscar, 30 Dec 2018.

1. crazyadi

crazyadi

I know all about the CURB score, and I shan't be arguing with you but in my experience Drs no longer hand out antibiotics silly Billy and those that do shouldn't be. No one said wait for cultures, infection markers look different in a viral pneumonia.

2. Cityfan

Cityfan

Treating pneumonia with antibiotics is not handing out antibiotics 'silly Billy' It is entirely appropriate and responsible and the recommended treatment.
    Most pneumonias are treated in the community by GP's who don't have the resources to take everyone's blood who they treat.
    If they did it would make no difference blood tests do not reliably distinguish between viral and bacterial pneumonia.
    I don't know where you are getting your information from but I'm afraid you have been misinformed.

3. denislawsbackheel

denislawsbackheel

You’ll know you’ve got it when you simultaneously have Diarrhoea and projectile vomiting.

4. crazyadi

crazyadi

I'm getting from the fact I've been prescribing drugs for 15 years. But you carry on telling me blood tests can't reliably identify a difference between a bacteria and a virus.

5. Cityfan

Cityfan

Presumably even people who prescribe have to get their information from somewhere, it doesn't just arrive out of the blue.
    Both the British thoracic society guidelines pointed to earlier and the Nice guidelines state that a diagnosis of pneumonia means giving antibiotics .
    Pneumonia is a potentially serious condition and once diagnosed antibiotics are prescribed whether or not you think it may be viral if it is bacterial and not treated the results can be serious.