poker losses

CTID Chris said:
I don't play much now, but last year (at age 18) I won/ cashed in some decent tournaments and built >$3.5k from $150.

It's so addictive.. but it is so easy to lose it all if you are impatient. I went from SnG/MTT's to cash one week, was playing at a level that was way too high for me. Anyway, I won a hand or two, got to my peak of $3.5k.. then a couple of bad beats - "fck, I can win that back if I play another few hands at the next level"... and you're down to $500.

Ugh

AA, $2.1k pot... beaten by something like 7Js.

I put in a steep re-raise pre-flop, he shoved. Ridiculous. :(

I still have nightmares about that session now...

Every person who plays poker will have bad beats and bad sessions, thats why bankroll management is absolutely essential. Gus Hansen has been rumoured to going busto, if it can happen to him it can happen to anybody.
Bankroll management is very conservative and sounds boring but it has to be implemented, afterall apart from the amounts involved playing poker is just playing poker whether its at NL4 or NL100

Jamie23 said:
hate it, you will never be a winner

Thats a very broad, ridiculous statement. You may not but plenty do, I am a winner at it and make a few quid for my European slush fund, one of my mates who comes on here makes a living doing it.

Poker strategy is a con mate trust. They earn all the rake on that money and if you continue putting your own money in they still continue to get the rake.

bezdog said:
hi bought 40 pounds on pkr site to play poker.anyway after a couple of days i had
385 dollars i thought yeh i can make a living at this lol.i didnt play then for a couple of days.so started back playing on sunday night. i was playing two tables at once and had 385 dollars in the bank and 100 dollars on one table and 200 dollars on the other table i thought yes something i enjoy and can make money at as well lol.
anyway next thing its 6.30 am i have no money left and am gutted lost the lot in one night. so the next day i bought some more and more and more!.
well to cut a long story short i lost about 800 dollars on pkr then they said i had reached my limit on pkr and i couldnt buy anymore credit.
i was like a crackhead i needed to play to get my money back! i then joined ladbrokes and lost another 500 pounds i was proper gutted i dont even work!
and i dont even consider myself a gambler but got caught up in it all.
i know 1000 pounds isnt a lot to some guys on here but to not leave your house and spend a thousand pounds i think is ludicrous!and the sad thing is i still would like to play even though i took a bit of a battering!.i feel really silly about spending that amount as i would never spend that on myself e.gt. designer clothes etc. please discuss?

you might find out a little more about yourself from doing this as well as have a little bit of fun:-

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-professional-gambler-aptitude-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-profes ... itude-test</a>

Scottyboi said:
Poker strategy is a con mate trust. They earn all the rake on that money and if you continue putting your own money in they still continue to get the rake.

Its not a con, of course they take your rake, its no different to the poker site you play on taking your rake, thats why they do it, they're not going to give away free money for absolutely no return are they?. Like I said if someone is planning to play a lot then a rakeback deal with your own money is best but if the person in question is unable to use their own money and only planning to play as a hobby then a bankroll starter from one of these sites is a good way to get going.

you might find out a little more about yourself from doing this as well as have a little bit of fun:-

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-professional-gambler-aptitude-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-profes ... itude-test</a>[/quote]
tried the test and it was quite interesting, I scored
57% gambling
61% risk aptitude
48% risk aversion

JULES said:
MCFCinUSA said:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-professional-gambler-aptitude-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-profes ... itude-test</a>
tried the test and it was quite interesting, I scored
57% gambling
61% risk aptitude
48% risk aversion

what did that make you - the Bull?

>>
You blend a good knowledge of gambling smarts with the ability to assess risk well.

However, sometimes your enthusiasm might make you a little too bullish and there is always that potential for you to exhibit 'risk lover' type behaviour.

The ultimate danger you face here is being slaughtered and cut up for steaks all at once, but with the right partner being eaten can have its compensations!

'A little government and a little luck are necessary in life; but only a fool trusts either of them'

P J O'Rourke, American Author & Political Commentator (b 1947 -)
<<

I think another few % more on risk aversion and you would have been a Wolf!

(but then you'd not be getting eaten; I envy you.... ehehe)

CTID Chris said:
I don't play much now, but last year (at age 18) I won/ cashed in some decent tournaments and built >$3.5k from $150.

It's so addictive.. but it is so easy to lose it all if you are impatient. I went from SnG/MTT's to cash one week, was playing at a level that was way too high for me. Anyway, I won a hand or two, got to my peak of $3.5k.. then a couple of bad beats - "fck, I can win that back if I play another few hands at the next level"... and you're down to $500.

Ugh

AA, $2.1k pot... beaten by something like 7Js.

I put in a steep re-raise pre-flop, he shoved. Ridiculous. :(

I still have nightmares about that session now...

haha reminds me of the time I lost an $120 pot online holding AA pre-flop only to be beat by 88 for his trips :(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.