Poker

mancityscot

I've just recently (as in the last month) got into playing poker, never used to know the rules or understand any of it. But I've quite enjoyed the games I have played. Me and my friends have some poker night's every now and again with £5 buy ins. I'm not bad at it, and it helps when I have a good hand of course, but I'm not the best at bluffing. And still feel I have so much to learn when it comes to getting a bit better and more skilled. As in, I don't really have much confidence at bluffing, I don't really know when to bet the right amounts when I have a good hand. A lot of the game is down to luck but I really want to become more skillful at it and get a better understanding of the game.

Anyone here play it? Does any kind sir have any tips they'd be willing to share?

There are thousands of books out there if you're serious about improving your game.

Just about every top pro has written one.

If you are only gonna read one then I'd advise, the bible of poker books:

Super System or Super System 2 by Doyle Brunson with contributions from loads of other top players.

If you're interested in one tip from an amatuer, I'd say forget about bluffing until you've learnt how to play your premium hands properley.

Too many beginners are obsessed by reads and bluffing and would be much better suited just playing the cards, as the level you're probably playing at, you'll usually get someone paying you off with a pair, however well you might of represented a better hand or however tight your table image is, if you are only playing premium hands.

you've always got to ask yourself what you are trying to represent with your bluff, does the story you're trying tell make sense to the person you're bluffing? Good players will see right through a bad bluff because it simply doesn't make sense, you've also got to realise the type of player you're up against, if he is a calling station then there is seldom a good time to bluff him if he can never lay down second pair, with these type of players wait till you have it and you're best just value betting them and make them pay, they may stop calling you down light once they realise it costing them, then in turn you can start bluffing them. The most important rule is to understand that the story or hand you're trying to represent is believable. We have a BM poker league on Pokerstars if you're interested, don't worry its not a shark pool, if we could get a few more interested it'd be worth getting it going again.

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=225378&hilit=poker

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.