Poll | Our involvement in proposed Super League (TSL)

What do you think lay behind our involvement in the ill-fated TSL?

• We've become what we've always hated

Votes: 74 12.1%
  • An ill-judged cock-up

Votes: 220 36.1%
  • An opportunist bit of mischief making

Votes: 23 3.8%
  • A cunning conspiracy to hit our enemies hard

Votes: 67 11.0%
  • Not good but had little choice

Votes: 209 34.3%
  • None of the above

Votes: 17 2.8%

• Total voters
The Joel Glazer quote in our announcement supports this theory, and the more I think about it the more I think it was an opportunity taken to damage our enemies whilst taking minimal collateral damage. The attitude of Ceferin and Perez support this, as do the lack of any overt support from our board even on our own announcement of our intention to join. The biggest losers in this are Madrid, Barca, Juve, United and Liverpool. PSG and Bayern are the clear winners with ourselves and Chelsea coming out ok. UEFA was never our real enemy, it was the clubs pulling their strings. Those strings are now broken largely thanks to us, and Ceferin is delighted.
In a nutshell.

I can't muster a real opinion because the club hasn't explained their motives yet, they may never explain their motives.
I always had the thought that maybe this was a sting operation. The ESL has been hovering in the background for a long time. I think financial pressure brought it to the fore but I can't be sure whether City's own financial problems made us jump on board, or whether we suckered Real Madrid and Man Utd. Perez has suggested City manipulated the ESL. We will never know but I think a lot of City fans will think this is related to the cartel / UEFA / FFP / MCFC dispute with finance thrown into the pot.

Whatever, the outcome is perfect for City. Man Utd and Liverpool's wings clipped.

In a nutshell.
It was the same announcement across all clubs though. Man Utd and Liverpool had the exact same announcement. I do agree though this feels very much like a night of the long knives. Retribution has been enacted.

To my mind, the owners have enough credit in the bank. It's a bit different to Liverpool where it's like the owners had a extra marital affair and got caught, ours when out had too much to drink and pissed in the wardrobe. It'll be frosty for a while, but not terminal.
It is possible that because City lost £126m we buckled.

However boy did we buckle. We were out in 48 hours. That to me sounds like a club who had no commitment to this. Think about it. City execs are not morons. ANyone who does this knows they are going to get enormous flak. Enormous. You don't break ranks overnight........unless of course you had no commitment to it in the first place.

We wont know. Perez thinks he knows. It is at least a 50% possibility. SOmething you cannot prove. The evidence points towards Manchester City black operation. In a murder case, one looks for motive. Is this was an Agatha Christie, I'd be pointing directly at us.

Is there an option for ‘a combination of some/all of the above’?
I certainly think our motives might well have shifted during the whole process. Still not sure I buy the whole Machiavellian machinations theory, I think we were initially blindsided and panicked into a rash decision, though I suspect that realising the rare opportunities a withdrawal suddenly presented might have come into play later in the day
The greed argument fit for Man Utd and Barcelona etc. They are under enormous financial pressure.

BUt it doesn't work for so well for City. We don't have as much to gain, and we have more to lose.

Sometimes I think City are naive and make errors (Spygate, IT security) but we also have some smart people on our board. Jury is out. If this was a legal case, a barrister could make a very compelling case that City manipulated the situation for our own objective. Short term PR disaster for a political trumph.

We are down buddies with Ceferin and UEFA for a start.

I detest the concept of a Super League and think that it would be largely dull in practice (there'd be innumerable deathly tedious dead-rubber games, for a start). I had serious misgivings about City's decision to sign up even if it was clear that we weren't the instigators.

However, I'm starting to warm to the club's stance now. The above tweet is not far off a direct quote from Florentino Perez (referenced there as FP) and makes abundantly clear that City are the English club he's accused of not being committed to the project. I have to say that, by boiling the piss to that degree of the vile Perez and the rancid, despicable institution that is Real Madrid, we must have done something very, very right somewhere down the line.

I think the subsequent results and events will give us a better idea of what our clear intentions were.

A half wit man would have figured out this was done to save only a few clubs. The reds scums and the spanish scums. The billion dollar debt and the dwindling infrastructure at these clubs clearly tell us that. And we decided to help them and somehow we managed not to get a seat at the table. This would never sit right with me. How the fuck Arsenal(Korenka) gets to have a say and not us.
Which tells us despite all those trophies at City or Chelsea who is still the boss. This is why UEFA also tried to fuck us. On directions from the ishtory clubs.

Say what about PSG, they were certainly new to the cartel and belong to a poor french league but accumulated power better and faster than us. Nasir in now the president of the ECA.

As another poster mentioned we came out okay with the outcome which is true. But i will only think of this as a great Machiavellian scheme if we somehow end up at the high table after our quick pull out from the ESL. When the dust settles and Agnelli or Perez are still pulling the strings or Bayern bosses or Nasir at PSG is fucking with us then this would have been for nought.
So as i said I for one would be able to give a clear answer only after couple of months.
For now I went with an ill-judged cockup.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.