Poll | Our involvement in proposed Super League (TSL)

What do you think lay behind our involvement in the ill-fated TSL?

• We've become what we've always hated

Votes: 74 12.1%
  • An ill-judged cock-up

Votes: 220 36.1%
  • An opportunist bit of mischief making

Votes: 23 3.8%
  • A cunning conspiracy to hit our enemies hard

Votes: 67 11.0%
  • Not good but had little choice

Votes: 209 34.3%
  • None of the above

Votes: 17 2.8%

• Total voters
The Joel Glazer quote in our announcement supports this theory, and the more I think about it the more I think it was an opportunity taken to damage our enemies whilst taking minimal collateral damage. The attitude of Ceferin and Perez support this, as do the lack of any overt support from our board even on our own announcement of our intention to join. The biggest losers in this are Madrid, Barca, Juve, United and Liverpool. PSG and Bayern are the clear winners with ourselves and Chelsea coming out ok. UEFA was never our real enemy, it was the clubs pulling their strings. Those strings are now broken largely thanks to us, and Ceferin is delighted.
Damn right WB

Hopefully, and it seems like he will because his eyes have finally been opened, Ceferin and UEFA will no longer pander to these fuckers

There's enough circumstantial evidence to make the argument we knew what we were doing all along.
Still seems a stretch to me but a couple of days ago I laughed at the thought of this being a masterclass, today I'm not so sure.

Say what [you want] about PSG, they were certainly new to the cartel and belong to a poor french league but accumulated power better and faster than us. Nasir in now the president of the ECA.

For context, it's only fair to add that we, as a member of by far the most internationally popular domestic league, had some of the richest clubs in the world in our own back yard working by fair means and foul to saw us off at the knees. PSG didn't. It's almost impossible to build a power base internationally when your peers from your own country are so hostile towards you and wield that kind of influence.

Last edited:
There's enough circumstantial evidence to make the argument we knew what we were doing all along.
Still seems a stretch to me but a couple of days ago I laughed at the thought of this being a masterclass, today I'm not so sure.
And if we did I guess we’ll never know for sure as I very much doubt anybody would ever admit to it

I’m the same as you. Not quite there but getting there.

So while you sit back and wonder why
I got this fuckin' thorn in my side
Oh my god, it's a mirage
I'm telling y'all, it's sabotage

I'm still not sure what to make of all this, I've always been a firm believer in cock-up theory rather than conspiracy myself. But having now read the apology and some of what Perez has been ranting, I think City thought there was a real danger that this attempt at setting up a closed ESL might succeed, if that had been the case then being part of it would be essential to protect the club from a business/political point of view. Also from City's point of view it may have been a case of "keep your freinds close, but your keep your enemies closer" I don't think City were alone in thinking this, I suspect that Chelsea and possibly Arsenal may have followed similar reasoning. I do wonder if City were expecting more clubs to get involved, the plans had suggested there would be 15 permanent members but only 12 ever signed up, once it became clear how unpopular it was going to be and that it would likely fail anyway it was suddenly in City's best interests to do everything possible to kill it as quickly as possible. I think this was a rushed mis judged decision taken purely for business not football reasons. What puzzles me most is why City were invited to join in the first place.

I'm still not sure what to make of all this, I've always been a firm believer in cock-up theory rather than conspiracy myself. But having now read the apology and some of what Perez has been ranting, I think City thought there was a real danger that this attempt at setting up a closed ESL might succeed, if that had been the case then being part of it would be essential to protect the club from a business/political point of view. Also from City's point of view it may have been a case of "keep your freinds close, but your keep your enemies closer" I don't think City were alone in thinking this, I suspect that Chelsea and possibly Arsenal may have followed similar reasoning. I do wonder if City were expecting more clubs to get involved, the plans had suggested there would be 15 permanent members but only 12 ever signed up, once it became clear how unpopular it was going to be and that it would likely fail anyway it was suddenly in City's best interests to do everything possible to kill it as quickly as possible. I think this was a rushed mis judged decision taken purely for business not football reasons. What puzzles me most is why City were invited to join in the first place.
I think you're along the right lines, but there's a few holes there.

It's clear we were keeping Ceferin onside, he mentions phone calls with 5 clubs on Friday. Then he released a statement praising us within 90 seconds of us releasing ours.

Perez has confirmed we were never really up for it. And confirmed we were instrumental in bringing the PL clubs with us and ultimately bringing the whole thing down.

I would say it was a strategic / political decision rather than a business one. I don't think this decision was made for an extra few quid from broadcast revenue.

It was made to ensure the continued viability of the club if the SL went ahead, and to weaken our rivals political influence within UEFA and the PL if it didn't. And you'd have to say, it's been remarkably successful in that context.

I also owned a very successful global Private Investigation business and engaged in many an undercover operation, ranging from, amongst others, Fortune 500's to Government levels.
Got a job for you in Liverpool, mate. Good rates plus expenses. You'll just a need an American accent and to known the words to 'You'll Never Walk Alone'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.