Poor treatment of bar staff

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by u2fme2, 9 Jan 2019.

1. u2fme2

u2fme2

Hi. She was employed by fabulous fan fayre

2. Gordyola

Gordyola

Team supported:
    City of course
    Need to have worked for the company for 2 years

3. Rolee

Rolee

Silly rule, no wonder people get away with bullying junior staff then.

Gordyola likes this.
  4. manchester blue

manchester blue

If a manager has actually said if you don't like it you know where the door is that is grounds for a constructive dismissal case. As someone else has said contact ACAS or an employment lawyer. Did she have a contract or was it casual? In the first instance she should raise a formal grievance outlining the treatment she has been subjected to.

It's bullying and the company need to address this matter. They will have policies for performance issues and that won't be one of them. (not suggesting she wasn't performing well).

5. better dead than red

better dead than red

6. Saddleworth2

Saddleworth2

Lots of varied advice on this thread. The correct answer in the fi4st instance is invoke the companies hr policy for bullying and make a formal complaint. Ask for a copy of the policy in writing and make sure they keep to it by the letter. Any further action will need evidence that this step has been carried out.

7. Thomas Hearns

Thomas Hearns

Feel for you mate and hope your daughter’s situation gets resolved. It’s a horrible position to be in as a dad, part of you just wants a list of names and an opportunity to lay em all out I’m sure

My 16 year old girl started work this season in the directors lounge and for the most part she’s been treated with respect. There was one occasion on which whilst working at a function in the tunnel club on a non match day she was asked to carry on working until app 2am and when she excused herself on the grounds of an early start at college and parental non consent she was told in a very inappropriate and embarrassing manner by a much older man to finish her shift there and then 2 hrs earlier than expected

I know city pay 16 yr olds a lot more than the vast majority of other employers and her and her friends love serving food to famous faces off the tv but these perks of the job shouldn’t preclude city or their sub contractors giving an automatic duty of care to what are still children.

8. johnnytapia

johnnytapia

A Trade Union. I’m always staggred by the number of people who never give a second thought to being a union member. Worth every penny of membership fee in cases such as this.

9. Gorton_Tubster

Gorton_Tubster

I found after years and approx £480 pounds of payments that mine were absolutel shite imo. At least I didnt buy any of their house insurance or whatever else they were trying to sell. Unions are a waste of time nowadays, but that's another thread.

10. valleyblue

valleyblue

Having worked in the stadium industry for years,in my experience one of the most difficult staffing areas to deal with is the catering/ bars operations.
    Particularly within the football industry, where a club will tend to need hundreds of staff, generally every two weeks or so.
    Similar to the Liverpool model above, I have found the best solution to pay above the minimum wage and of course to train and treat these staff well.
    This model tends to attract and retain staff, and by, as much as possible keeping them in the same bars / hospitality areas, for the season allows them to develop a sense of teamwork and a rapport with the customers who use these areas.
    It is of course not acceptable to treat any staff, in the manner that you’re daughter has described, the contract caterers that operate at the stadium, should have robust anti bullying procedures in place, as part of the SLAs agreed with the club.
    I would advise, that she initially contacts the catering general manager that represents the caterer, with her grievances.
    This should at least lead to an internal investigation, if this does not lead to a satisfactory result,then the club will have a representative who oversees the catering operations on site, probably someone relatively senior within the commercial department.
    Good luck and I hope you’re daughter gets this issue resolved, bullying is still a huge issue in this type of environment, and it needs to be stopped.

basokla likes this.