Popularity Contest

Some good comments raised already.
Have a gander at betting websites and you'll come across odds with clear indications of what people truly think.

Ask the cockney rag who will win the league on some Facebook poll and his response is: united... as he doesn't want to look like a Citeh lover to his FB buddies.

Ask the same muppet to bet £100 on who will win the league on Bet365, and his response?

You know it ain't united. and the odds clearly show this.

The mainstream media aren't to be trusted and shouldn't be relied upon.

Mcfc Twitter feed - 1.93mil followers
Mcfc on Facebook - 14,911,493 likes
Instagram? 394,510 followers
Youtube Subscribers - 288,878
Google+ - 3,119,258 followers

This is where the club communicates.
Many people engaged in the above are not City fans, with comments often seen on say a youtube video saying: hey, i really liked this Kompany interview, and I'm a Chelsea fan".

Written press is dying. the next generation of supporters are engaged elsewhere via social media.
Sure, many newspapers have Twitter accounts/websites but they are competing worldwide now, not just in your local newsagent.
The next-gen of supporter has access to read from 10 newspapers, the same story all straight away for free, thus will see different views.
and on his Twitter feed or facebook timeline he will also see MCFC's own tweets/posts on the same issue.
So The Sun might post a tweet saying: Rodwell thinks City are bastards bla bla bla.
Yet just above this Tweet from @MCFC it reads: good luck jack, Rodwell thanks city.

They are still relevant, but the 8yr old kid living 200miles away from Manchester right now is putting on his Sky Blue shirt, and the Gutterpress either evolve and cater for this type of supporter, or die out like the older generation of gloryseeker who followed United in the 90's.

I somehow can't see this kid coming into his teens/adulthood and thinking: hey, I've been reading Twitter/Facebook all my life, watching tv channels on youtube as well, hmmmm I might just go and buy myself a newspaper. LOL.

This is why the likes of The Sun are scrambling and launched these subscription services offering goal highlights.

Might make money from the current crop of football fan, but for many younger generation - they've been watching the football for free for the past decade.

Who will replace who writes the content for the mainstream media?
You'll find kids growing up now with more sympathy for City, who may end up being employed by the gutterpress.

Why Always Ste said:
Have a gander at betting websites and you'll come across odds with clear indications of what people truly think.

Ask the cockney rag who will win the league on some Facebook poll and his response is: united... as he doesn't want to look like a Citeh lover to his FB buddies.

Ask the same muppet to bet £100 on who will win the league on Bet365, and his response?

Many people engaged in the above are not City fans, with comments often seen on say a youtube video saying: hey, i really liked this Kompany interview, and I'm a Chelsea fan".

Written press is dying. the next generation of supporters are engaged elsewhere via social media.
Sure, many newspapers have Twitter accounts/websites but they are competing worldwide now, not just in your local newsagent.
The next-gen of supporter has access to read from 10 newspapers, the same story all straight away for free, thus will see different views.
and on his Twitter feed or facebook timeline he will also see MCFC's own tweets/posts on the same issue.
So The Sun might post a tweet saying: Rodwell thinks City are bastards bla bla bla.
Yet just above this Tweet from @MCFC it reads: good luck jack, Rodwell thanks city.

They are still relevant, but the 8yr old kid living 200miles away from Manchester right now is putting on his Sky Blue shirt, and the Gutterpress either evolve and cater for this type of supporter, or die out like the older generation of gloryseeker who followed United in the 90's.

I somehow can't see this kid coming into his teens/adulthood and thinking: hey, I've been reading Twitter/Facebook all my life, watching tv channels on youtube as well, hmmmm I might just go and buy myself a newspaper. LOL.

This is why the likes of The Sun are scrambling and launched these subscription services offering goal highlights.

Might make money from the current crop of football fan, but for many younger generation - they've been watching the football for free for the past decade.

You'll find kids growing up now with more sympathy for City, who may end up being employed by the gutterpress.

Good post, and you're quite right in terms of how the way people consume media is changing dramatically. I think you're underestimating the power of the traditional press though.

While it is alien to many under 25 to go to the newsagent to buy a paper, the traditional nationals still have a huge influence on the media agenda, both traditional and new. The hyperbolic fawning over LVG has been mainly instigated by the press, and this has definitely influenced public opinion with many considering The Shite genuine title contenders.

As many followers as we have on social media, how many more have The Sun, Mail, Times, Telegraph, Guardian, Express, Star, Independent have when combined? How about if you throw in NY Times, LA Times, USA Today, and all the other media outlets around the world that report on football? City's couple of million followers is absolutely small fry in comparison.

If all of those media outlets fawn over Liverpool and The Shite, and don't bother to report on us, who is going to attract more new fans? Which is more attractive to sponsors?

Our media policy is designed to control our media output, so we get as little bad press as possible. I understand that strategy given the terrible press we've had the last few years. However, the knock on effect is that we get less mass media exposure, resulting in less casual fans, and lower sponsorship contracts than our rivals. It's rough with the smooth.

Why Always Ste said:

Superb

As Ferran Soriano said about when he took over Barcelona, clubs like that aren't marketing domestically. They couldn't give a shiny shite what fans of other domestic clubs think about them. The real money is made on global advertising, and in this respect, we show no signs of slowing down. The club aren't going to put a huge amount of effort into a charm offensive aimed at fans who already support other clubs, who are therefore always going to be somewhat hostile to us anyway. What would be the benefit?

i give thanks to City media/publicist staff who's running social media - youtube, FB, twitter, etc. they are the reason City have so many new supporter around the globe. while mainstream media, they are unreliable, irrelevent and HOPELESS. it's amazed me the lack coverage for City even Pellegrini made his history winning double in his debut season.

Some interesting posts within this topic. Red tops are fading fast, look at results of subscriptions, demise of so called national mainstays, News of the World etc. Social media has eclipsed the written press massively. The only place where we want columns in papers are America, look no further than New York, Asia, Australasia where there are still in tapped markets. Look at our website, 13 different languages and ever increasing. Who won website of the year, look no further. Very old fashioned to be thinking that domestic press is damaging, it's not. If you can parade the Premier League and Capital One Cup across the globe then the marketing and sponsorship deals follow, make no mistake our owners know what they are doing on a grand scale. If we needed SKY, Talkcrap or anyone else to back us we would be on a charm offensive. As it is, they will need us before we need them and they are slowly realising it. Just watch over the next few years how opinions on City change, they already are, Niall Quinn, Jamie Redknapp to name but a few. Forget about the Daily Fail etc, not needed, not welcome and soon to be extinct, not like City who will have global domination and sycophants all over just waiting to drool over City. The Blue Moon has risen, make no mistake.

Why Always Ste said:

Journalism is a redundant job nowadays. People can access an enormous amount of information, more than they could ever have time to take in, without ever needing to read or listen to a single word that a journalist ever writes or says. Journalists have become insignificant. They're needles in haystacks in the world of social media. There are more interesting, better informed bloggers and forum contributors in this world than there are journalists combined.

Newspapers and even newspaper sites are a thing of yesteryear. You're right. Lads aren't growing up after exposing himself to a large array of media on the device in his pocket, isn't going to think "I've seen all that but let's just see what Neil Custis has written today"!

So, a programme undertakes a poll and asks the question, who's going to win the league this year...?
I don't watch football focus, who does nowadays....?
You could ask the same question after each programme and it will differ dramatically, just as it would when walking into any big city and asking a thousand random people.
You can bet your bottom dollar that those who responded on the programme were from the clubs who, as it happens, miraculously end up with the highest percentage, whist us City fans couldn't give a hoot as we sat there all smug like, knowing every bugger else wants to be seen as the real pretender and having the most fans.
Who gives one about polls, I certainly don't, all that matters to me is that City as a club continue to quietly go about their business and shove it right up them, quietly.

To all my fellow Bluemooners out there, do WE really give a flying fig about frigging Polls & popularity? Two fingers up to the lot of them will always be my motto! Proudly go about our business in a manner to which WE prefer to move forward as a Football club, that is destined for much more celebrating regarding success on & off the pitch! JMHO of course:) CTID

Fantastic bit of news from the US:

@NBCSportsPR: NBCSN Telecast of Newcastle-Manchester City Most-Watched Opening Weekend Match on Cable in U.S. History: <a class="postlink" href="http://t.co/3c4SF2whZO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://t.co/3c4SF2whZO</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.