Post Match Thread: City vs West Ham

Hi all,

A hammer here in peace. Always had a soft spot for your lot, and glad to see you kicking off well as i couldn't stand another Chelsea season.

I have to say i'm slightly surprised by the vitriol for the ref, i can see the time-wasting complaints, but maybe not to the extent being stated on here. At least compared to what we see by a lot of big teams week in week out. That said, i suppose how you view a ref will always go with what you're wanting to happen.

As for the actual game play it seemed very much like a game of two halves. I thought we were outstanding first half, incredibly composed, and bar a few half-chances looked pretty solid at the back but more adventurous moving forward. Then with De Bruyne's goal we retreated into ourselves (on that note, what a player he looks like he's going to be, for me your MotM). Second half i think was more to do with your pressing than us trying to be negative, from what i've seen under Bilic it's not the way we like to play, we want to drop deep with the pace to counter. A combination of some great defending by Reid, Tonks, Noble, and Adrian kept us alive and then a few misses that another day would have gone in. You definitely missed Silva, as a few passes from him could have unlocked us i think and at the very least saved the point if not more. But for a team of our resource against yours, we need some luck and need to be a bit negative. I'm over the moon with the result, but sincerely hope you can carry on your fine form from before the International break. Sterling looked lively today, and when you have Silva, Sterling, De Bruyne, Aguero all starting and in-form that will be absolutely terrifying to come up against.

All that said, it's a testament to the team you are now that this win means more than the Arsenal away result, and is very similar to the liverpool result, except for the history of that. Best of luck for the rest of the season, except for your trip down to us ;)

First off, well done to West Ham, came to give us a game and carried out their game plan to perfection, the time wasting was small time though and for me detracts from their achievement....I remembered what it felt like when we pulled off the occasional giant killing and watching the euphoric scenes on the way from the ground tonight brought back some of those moments for me as a city fan

Now to business. I thought Sterling was playing quite well, particularly late on in the first half when KDB's movement and link up play started to pay dividends and we managed to inject some pace. I thought he was a bit light weight though and was getting fairly easily bullied off the ball most of the first half and for the part he played in the second half....dilemma though, what do you do as MP? So he hooks the lad and puts Bony on; I thought not unreasonable, although couldn't understand why Navas wasn't the first change, but from then on KdB was more isolated playing on the left and was also occupying the same space as Kolorov on some occasions, plus we lost a creative outlet and about a yard of pace from our attack...hmmm, what to do? So we wait until the last 8 minutes or so and hook Kolorov and put on another striker....which really didnt address the pace or penetration issue adequately....and we continue to play a lot of the ball through them in the hope something would break or that Yaya would lose his shit and go on a rampage (he nearly did)

From what I've seen so far this season I've reach a couple of conclusions....I think whenever we have subbed Sterling we have lost pace and creativity and also that little bit of je ne sais quois that the triumvirate of silva, Sterling and Kolorov have going. More worrying is that each successive sub today made us a little bit worse.. Which rather worryingly suggests to me MP doesn't really know individual player strengths yet and was merely trying to make changes in the hope something would work...gulp

Before I get some foaming fannies feeling the need to defend MP, I'm not suggesting we get rid of him, just concerned given the changes made today and outcome of that...on the positive side, KDB played well but on the negative side he clearly felt he made a tactical mistake partnering Otamendi and Mangala....very costly that, acceptable at this level...not sure

I was with you until triumvirate

It looks like Mangala needs Kompany to guide him through games and give confidence. For that reason, Ive lost faith now, He looked much improved this season but if thats how it is then he hasnt got it. Otamendi looked classy i thought and him and Vinny need to be our pairing now when hes fit again. Navas can suck my ass and Bony, who I am generally a great fan of by the way, needs to score some goals very soon or make some

Also, whatever happened to the 6 second rule for GKs?
It was stopped a long time ago, if the ball is in play, its in play. If its a dead ball the ref can tell them to get on with it, (which he did), or stop his watch (which he also did, and made a point of showing it).

However, 4 minutes for the second half was a bit of a joke, but he was a joke on numerous other things too.

20 past 1 in the morning, can't sleep and I'm still absolutely gutted about today's result.

Proper pissed off about it.

Fuck's sake, City!

It looks like Mangala needs Kompany to guide him through games and give confidence. For that reason, Ive lost faith now, He looked much improved this season but if thats how it is then he hasnt got it.
I didn't see much wrong with Mangala today, I assume he went off injured, I did ask earlier, but nobody replied about his injury.

Demechelis was class when he came on, and him and Otemendi looked very assured together.

Fair play to west ham adrain, Reid and Tompkins were superb. They did well but we were outstanding, we didn't have any luck today but we played class we created a lot in the second half against an extremely defensive well organised team on another day we could have won by four. If we are as creative and direct for the rest of the season as we were in the second half we will walk the league. Kevin is a different class him with Silva , Sterling and a match fit aguero is terrifying for any defence.

Navas is getting time and space because he's the one least likely to hurt the other team. They're forcing the ball to he and Sagna who have no realistic way through. Navas always wants to push the ball to the goal line and cross, which means his fullback can't overlap. Whenever Sagna is ahead of him Navas is completely stuck. Until we solve the right side we're not going to see much from Sterling, who has no space to operate in. Teams are just forcing us to our right and trusting their back line to clear the crosses.

+1

First , kdb is class
2nd, otomendi was good
Now Navas ,not defending him _ but if there were no defenders all his crosses would go through the six yard box BUT there are defenders who are there to defend.
Wham defended well and had that bit of luck to survive. Navas worked hard for the team but his end product is lacking.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.