Potential House-Selling Problem - Anyone With Experience?

Stuuuuuu

We are looking to sell in the coming months. However, a closed-down pub over the road was recently set ablaze, and now looks very ugly and off-putting. We are in quite a low crime area. I was wondering if anything can be done - is the owner under any obligation to sort out the appearance of the building? If so, what are the steps that we should go through? If not, what can be done? We are very concerned about this affecting the price of our property, and indeed our scope for actually selling it.

Anyone with any experience or knowledge of these matters?

Cheers in advance.

Re: Potential House-Selling Problem - Anyone With Experience

Only a guess but you could phone the council and see if they know or if it was a chain pub try and speak to someone about the plans for it

There's a shithouse.near me where some old sod has a Rover 3500 rotting in his front garden. Been there 10 years. The windows are filthy and rotting and looking in they live in utter squalor.

Nothing can be done about it apparently.

Other than making the site safe I bet there's nothing the council can do for you.

Re: Potential House-Selling Problem - Anyone With Experience

Stuuuuuu said:
We are looking to sell in the coming months. However, a closed-down pub over the road was recently set ablaze, and now looks very ugly and off-putting. We are in quite a low crime area. I was wondering if anything can be done - is the owner under any obligation to sort out the appearance of the building? If so, what are the steps that we should go through? If not, what can be done? We are very concerned about this affecting the price of our property, and indeed our scope for actually selling it.

Anyone with any experience or knowledge of these matters?

Cheers in advance.
The council can impose an order on the property for the owner to do necessary work and force a compulsory sale if it doesn't happen. This can take years though. Might be worth contacting the owner yourself; you can find the owners details on the Land Registry website for £3.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.