pre paid electricity

marco

when we bought the house the pre payment meter was in so we just took over and carried on,this was some 10 yers ago and its quite noticable how much little you get for £10 now as you did back then,on the plus side you dont get a heavy winter bill to pay, i think now its time to have it taken out and a regular meter installed,does anyone know what kind of savings i could make by doing this,im sure there is some charge on the pre payment for maintaining these meters and most likely the highest costs,any advice would be welcome

We use Utilita smart meters, done switch comparisons off our actual usage and the savings on the cheapest alternative was pennies. If i remember correctly the alternative had shocking reviews on customer service if things went wrong. No standing charge as far as i can see to have the meters either

I may have imaged this, but I'm sure my gran had a pre-paid electric meter when I was a kid, and to top it up she used to buy plastic 'keys' from the corner shop. This would've been in the early 90s.

Was this a thing? In my memory they were bright blue.

Edit. A quick Google informs me it was gas.

As you were.

Attachments

• British-Gas-Token-Vintage-Blue-Plastic-Key-1980s-90s.jpg
    British-Gas-Token-Vintage-Blue-Plastic-Key-1980s-90s.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 6
Get on to them and check your balance. You might well have been overpaying. I found out I was 150 in credit a couple of years back when I switched to a meter. They cut me a check.

I've got a pre-pay meter but the housing were doing some work and they must have damaged it as the display has gone......i get free electric now. Don't tell any one though...shhhh.

It's expensive being poor - meters are a way of fucking over those at the bottom of the economic ladder. It should be mandatory to provide an electricity supply, and if the provider has concerns about the credit worthiness of the customer, then by all means fit a meter but at the providers expense as a form of insurance. The metered rate should be the same as standard tariff.

fuck the meter off, have a look at 'octopus' for supplier, pay monthly standing order to avoid bills.
Think i still have a link to Octopus that gives me and any new customer that signs up from it some free credits.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.