Pre season 80 81.The trip to Germany and Holland.

Must have bumped into you at some stage.
12 of us did the trip.
Went to Ajax V Ipswich. Behind the goal when Ajax com round a few of us stood with a couple of West Ham but Ipswich ran.
So we said F this and got the Tram and they came after us. Think there was a bit of stand off and jumped on Tram.
Did you go in Gary's Bar by any chance.
No idea about the bar.
Yes correct about the West Ham fans. There were a few Dutch girls and they chatted with the West Ham fans. The locals didnt like that bit and angrily chatted with the girls. One local slapped a girl and the West Ham lot chased them off. Of course more came back and West Ham and City chased them off and as you said Ipswich went the other way.
That's when we decided to leave halfway through the 2nd half.

Weird ground too. Don't think it was Ajax's regular ground, maybe the Olympic Stadium but at the back of the stand we were in it was like a 4 foot high wall and then a sheer drop to the ground below!

Last edited:
I was on the trip with wilmslow road,werder Bremen game was part of the Dave Watson deal, the 12 of us got free tickets outside of john Benson, open air swimming pool next to the ground , was not a good idea to go in after about 10 pints.

I don't remember the trip to Germany but I do remember Arthur Wilkinson of the Piccadilly branch. I went on a coach he organised for a pre season match at Walsall when we had just signed Mike Channon. City won 4-0 I think.
Arthur Wilkinson was a great guy to travel with on the way back to the uk there was a big police presence at Felixtow as we docked on the ferry from the hook of Holland. West Ham fans ran amock smashing the toilets etc.nowt to do with us!. A game had been announced in Rekiavic in city's pre season and Arthur had said "maybe" piccadilly branch would organise a trip. On the train back to Manchester I asked him if it was still on .Arthurs reply was "I wouldn't take this lot to the Iceland freezer centre. (Shows how long ago it was with a quote like that. )
I don't remember the trip to Germany but I do remember Arthur Wilkinson of the Piccadilly branch. I went on a coach he organised for a pre season match at Walsall when we had just signed Mike Channon. City won 4-0 I think.

No idea about the bar.
Yes correct about the West Ham fans. There were a few Dutch girls and they chatted with the West Ham fans. The locals didnt like that bit and angrily chatted with the girls. One local slapped a girl and the West Ham lot chased them off. Of course more came back and West Ham and City chased them off and as you said Ipswich went the other way.
That's when we decided to leave halfway through the 2nd half.

Weird ground too. Don't think it was Ajax's regular ground, maybe the Olympic Stadium but at the back of the stand we were in it was like a 4 foot high wall and then a sheer drop to the ground below!

It was Olympic Stadium. Bit of a shit hole wooden bench seats if I remember as the Ajax fans had to climb up over them and that held them off for a bit. Garry's Bar was on opposite side of Town from Red Light ( sill in the Centre ). I think he was from Sheffield and a Blades Fan who ran it. Not sure of it's proper name but a Football lads meet up place. Went to find it when we padded through after a Euro and it's now a posh Cafe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.