Pre-Season Friendly in Dublin?

Is football very much the poor relation in Cork? I've always assumed that the only place in Ireland where football is king is the urban, working class parts of Dublin. GAA and rugby dominate the middle class areas and anywhere west of Newlands Cross is for the national games mostly.

GAA is still very much working class as well as middle class.

Indeed, I grew up in a working class area and GAA dominated, football was there or thereabouts but rugby was nonexistent.

Yep I grew up in the poorest area of Dublin and it was a GAA stronghold. These days I live in South County Dublin and it's all rugby.

Indeed, I grew up in a working class area and GAA dominated, football was there or thereabouts but rugby was nonexistent.
Where did you grow up? I know the northside was traditionally strong in GAA but I still reckon more played football in Dublin overall. I grew up in Rathfarnham, very little GAA back then, now it's huge.

I'm only living the GAA through the kids. I joined the coaches 3 years ago in my local club Eire Og to train the kids. I love it. I also help coach at the local soccer club - Lakewood. From what I've seen many local parents avoid rugby because it's just feared to be more dangerous once the kids hit a certain age. If I had to choose one sport that they'd excel in as they grow up it'd be Hurling. I just feel that they'll be set for life if they are able to reach the top in that sport. But all the kids adore soccer and to be fair once they are involved in sport who cares what it is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.