Premier League losing appeal?

NoahCity

I didn't see a thread on this so merge if needed, but it seems to me that more and more top players are not moving to PL. We of course have seen Isco and Cavani slip away to other teams this summer. Mkhitaryan choosing Dortmund over Pool, Villa choosing Atletico over Spurs, Lewandowski go to Bayern over move to United/Chelsea. Plenty more examples.
Discuss.

I don't think so.
Is it really a surprise that Mkhitaryan chose Dortmund over Liverpool? considering the two clubs statures in world football right now?

Again David Villa and Spurs.

Cavani to PSG I would say is a surprise but is it him not liking the PL and rejecting moves or is it just PSG paying his release clause and him just wanting to at least leave Napoli?

Isco to Real wasn't really a shock either, if anything it would have been a huge coup for us to sign arguably the most talented Spanish player of his generation ahead of the biggest team in Spain and in the world.

Or how about the influx of players to Monaco, a team just promoted that has stadium capacity of 18500! The money is good I bet, but the likes of Moutinho, Rodriguez and Falcao could get pretty good wages just about anywhere they went.

NoahCity said:
Or how about the influx of players to Monaco, a team just promoted that has stadium capacity of 18500! The money is good I bet, but the likes of Moutinho, Rodriguez and Falcao could get pretty good wages just about anywhere they went.

I bet Monaco ent a bad place to live though .

Players will follow the money and at the moment the big wages and fees are being paid in France, the Prem League IMO isn't losing its appeal in fact with the way things are going it could get even better.

NoahCity said:
I didn't see a thread on this so merge if needed, but it seems to me that more and more top players are not moving to PL. We of course have seen Isco and Cavani slip away to other teams this summer. Mkhitaryan choosing Dortmund over Pool, Villa choosing Atletico over Spurs, Lewandowski go to Bayern over move to United/Chelsea. Plenty more examples.
Discuss.
Exact opposite is true.

All Premiership clubs are buying overseas players

At the top level of the market you have PSG, and Monaco taking a bigger slice of the transfer action. That hardly reflects entire leagues

No point judging it yet, wait until the huge TV deal kicks in next year and then see what happens next summer.

The Bundesliga will become more and more attractive.

No idea if Ligue 1 is just flash in the pan.

Serie A needs to get with the times and shed it's corrupt image otherwise it'll be left behind.

Russian Premier League, no matter how much money, will always be a bit on the periphery because of location.

La Liga is in danger i think, it's only being held up by the huge amount of spanish talent and the quality of coaching.

The Premier League has had a minor dip the last couple of years, but the new TV deal kicking in soon has freed up clubs like Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool to spend. With the Worldwide appeal it'll stay strong.

Continental clubs know that UEFAs FFP is unenforceable and will not stand up in court. PL teams at least making a show of complying with the "Rag Protection Act of 2013" and unable to throw cash about at the same rate.

What would be ironic is if the EPL's "Rag Protection Act" led to a systemic weakness over time of our clubs in European play as compared to the Continental sides. The rags, who are utterly dependent on plastics in Singapore buying their crap tablecloth shirts, could then see all those rupees and whatnot being spent on Real, PSG, etc gear if those were the clubs routinely featuring in the UCL finals. Well now, Malcolm, time for another stock offering then? More debt maybe?

All speculative, of course. And I'd hate to see us being second class citizens in world football to fascist twats like Madrid on an ongoing basis. But some part of me would quite enjoy seeing the rags run afoul of the unintended consequences of that shabby bit of business they got their little house woman organisation (aka the FA) to implement here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.