Premier League or Champions League?

What do you want us to win more?

• Total voters
It depends on how you define best. If best is "won the most points" then sure.

But there are other dimensions like how good are you when at your very best?

Imagine a golfer who can shoot 59 but is inconsistent and rarely wins tournaments. Vs another who never scores lower than 2 or 3 under but does it regularly and wins more often.

Who is the better golfer?

Edit: You are also ignoring luck, which obviously plays a huge part in knockout comps, but is still relevant over 38 games.

Just look at Liverpool's winning season - they had hardly any injuries and played the same team week in, week out. Dead lucky. They had crazy refereeing decisions go in their favour. They had opponents fucking it up at the last moment. They were in short, dead jammy. That does not mean best team to me, just luckiest.
Not over 38 games mate, that doesn’t stack up at all… When the dippers won the CL one year, didn’t they get beat in one third of their games , I could be wrong but it’s something like that …
Losing one third of your PL games gets you nothing .. I agree some teams like the rags and dippers get a leg up but to come out on top after playing 38 games against a lot of very good sides over that length of time makes you the best team in the land for me..

In a lot of cases this is a defence mechanism by a number of fans because we haven't won it. Try to make the competition of much lesser value. Its both human nature and very transparent
It's also a legacy of the fact that our two biggest rivals have won it and we haven't. As you say: it's a defence mechanism.

Not over 38 games mate, that doesn’t stack up at all… When the dippers won the CL one year, didn’t they get beat in one third of their games , I could be wrong but it’s something like that …
Losing one third of your PL games gets you nothing .. I agree some teams like the rags and dippers get a leg up but to come out on top after playing 38 games against a lot of very good sides over that length of time makes you the best team in the land for me..
So you're saying Liverpool didn't get more luck than us during their 2020 winning season? That's just daft, of course they did. They were incredibly lucky in hardly having any injuries and none to key players. Just look what happened to them when Van Dyke got injured - they fell to pieces. And some of the var decisions they have in their favour vs our 1mm Sterling offside nonsense that we were having to contend with. No objective observer could claim that it was a level playing field that season.

Sure they played well and I am not saying they should not have won the title that year. But to say luck and injuries and refereeing decisions play no part? Of COURSE they do. This idea that it all evens itself out is bollocks. Do you not remember the days when a United player had to commit manslaughter to get a red at the swamp, and even then it was usually a yellow? The refs bent over backwards to give Liverpool the title in 2020 because the powers that be didn't want us winning it every year.

Last edited:
It's also a legacy of the fact that our two biggest rivals have won it and we haven't. As you say: it's a defence mechanism.
I know what you are saying but for me it’s not a defence mechanism, no doubt the CL is the greatest cup competition on the planet and I’m desperate for City to win it.. All I’m saying is I wouldn’t swap a PL title for it .. Hopefully we can do both this season and keep us all happy ..

In principle I prefer to win the league. But not winning the CL again and again is frustrating and it's come to the point where I really want that monkey off our back.

We've won the league 5 times in the last 10 seasons. Is 6 from 11 really that different? The CL title cements our position as inarguably the best team in Europe and until we win it, that claim always has a question mark against it.

So right now? CL for me.
I'm in the same boat as you. Whilst I try ignore the noise from rival fans, it's incredible frustrating a team of our quality inability to win the champions league. Especially given the way we have exited the competition over the years.

Personally though, I wouldn't take us losing the league to Liverpool to win the champions league. Domestic pride. Would you?

So you're saying Liverpool getting get more luck than us during their 2020 winning season? That's just daft, of course they did. They were incredibly lucky in hardly having any injuries and none to key players. Just look what happened to them when Van Dyke got injured - they fell to pieces. And some of the var decisions they have in their favour vs our 1mm Sterling offside nonsense that we were having to contend with. No objective observer could claim that it was a level playing field that season.

Sure they played well and I am not saying they should not have won the title that year. But to say luck and injuries and refereeing decisions play no part? Of COURSE they do. This idea that it all evens itself out is bollocks. Do you not remember the days when a United player had to commit manslaughter to get a red at the swamp, and even then it was usually a yellow? The refs bent over backwards to give Liverpool the title in 2020 because the powers that be didn't want us winning it every year.
There's a lot of truth in this: if you win the league by 15 points you are undisputedly the best team. If you win it by a few points you aren't necessarily the best team. When 2 or 3 teams are closely matched in terms of ability the one who gets the luck - mainly with injuries but also decisions and fixtures - is often the one who wins.

So you're saying Liverpool getting get more luck than us during their 2020 winning season? That's just daft, of course they did. They were incredibly lucky in hardly having any injuries and none to key players. Just look what happened to them when Van Dyke got injured - they fell to pieces. And some of the var decisions they have in their favour vs our 1mm Sterling offside nonsense that we were having to contend with. No objective observer could claim that it was a level playing field that season.

Sure they played well and I am not saying they should not have won the title that year. But to say luck and injuries and refereeing decisions play no part? Of COURSE they do. This idea that it all evens itself out is bollocks posted by people who can't face up to just how bent the whole bloody system is. Do you not remember when a United had to commit manslaughter to get a red at the swamp, and even then it was usually a yellow.
I didn’t say any of that mate, I agree with most of your post, I’ve watched the shit that goes on for over 50 years now .. The CL is the most bent competition on the planet ..
Ultimately though the question was PL or CL
PL all day long for me personally but I’m desperate for City to win the CL at some point, as I said earlier both this season would sort us all out …

I'm in the same boat as you. Whilst I try ignore the noise from rival fans, it's incredible frustrating a team of our quality inability to win the champions league. Especially given the way we have exited the competition over the years.

Personally though, I wouldn't take us losing the league to Liverpool to win the champions league. Domestic pride. Would you?
Yes, on balance, I would. We may or may not lose the league to Liverpool this year anyway. Who knows, we might lose the CL to them as well. If we ended up as CL champions and them winning the league, we'll still be remembered as the best side over the last 10 years. If we won the league and they won the CL again, then that would give them more bragging rights.

Yes, on balance, I would. We may or may not lose the league to Liverpool this year anyway. Who knows, we might lose the CL to them as well. If we ended up as CL champions and them winning the league, we'll still be remembered as the best side over the last 10 years. If we won the league and they won the CL again, then that would give them more bragging rights.
I didn't even fathom the thought of them doing the prem & CL double over us, that would be so painful. Agree us winning the CL would defo soften the blow. I think you're right, if we do want to be remembered as one of the best sides of recent history, a champions league win would defo have a huge impact

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.