Premier League Protest Against Uighur Treatment

There are a thousand and one "good causes" (OK slight exaggeration but you know what I mean) that need highlighting. Who gets to choose which ones get the support and which don't.
And are cricket / rugby / horse racing jockey's / darts and snooker players being asked to support them too?

Masters said the Prem are up for protesting about humanitarian issues, not political ones and surely this is one of the biggest on the planet at the moment?

Although one of the downsides is the pressure it would put on Chinese players to take a stand with the potential punishment they'd receive back in China. Imagine if Ronnie O Sullivan knelt down at the Invitational Masters in solidarity, what would Ding Jun Hui do?

The protest wouldn't happen anyway as the government would get involved.

"We can't afford to piss Beijing off" was the response I got my MP when I raised it.

It's all about money. The EPL jumped on the BLM bandwagon in just the same way as various tea bag manufacturers and Ben and Jerrys did. It was just about shoring up their corporate images/interests and avoiding the outrage of the outraged. It was also free advertising as BLM was trending so much in social media and the news. This issue in China offers no such benefits and China is a huge market - Money, always the money.

Reactions: mat
It's all about money. The EPL jumped on the BLM bandwagon in just the same way as various tea bag manufacturers and Ben and Jerrys did. It was just about shoring up their corporate images/interests and avoiding the outrage of the outraged. It was also free advertising as BLM was trending so much in social media and the news. This issue in China offers no such benefits and China is a huge market - Money, always the money.

That's not entirely true.

BLM has traction because it speaks to wider grievances about race, the Uighur situation does not and unfortunately it has been adopted by the right (always a bad sign) not because of the horror of it, but to use as a handy stick to beat the Chinese in the geopolitical ping pong beloved of the reactionary right.

The Uighur plight has become a means to an end, an end that is not remotely connected to the plight of the Uighurs.

BLM has traction because it speaks to wider grievances about race, the Uighur situation does not and unfortunately it has been adopted by the right (always a bad sign) not because of the horror of it, but to use as a handy stick to beat the Chinese in the geopolitical ping pong beloved of the reactionary right.

The Uighur plight has become a means to an end, an end that is not remotely connected to the plight of the Uighurs.
Sorry mate. Years of watching the rags running around diving, assaulting opposition players and haranguing officials with their respect badges on has made me cynical.

But where do you draw the line? Some terrible human rights abuses in Russia, USA, and all across Africa and Asia. The Premier League is watched in all these places. You could argue that football is a force for good in a terrible world. It's governments which are to blame not ordinary people. Why is the Premier League being selective? I suspect there is a lot more to this story.

But where do you draw the line? Some terrible human rights abuses in Russia, USA, and all across Africa and Asia. The Premier League is watched in all these places. You could argue that football is a force for good in a terrible world. It's governments which are to blame not ordinary people. Why is the Premier League being selective? I suspect there is a lot more to this story.
Money

The Uighur situation doesn't speak to wider grievances about race? They're being wiped out because of their race!

If the Premier League are going to shine a light on any humanitarian issue (and that's not to say they shouldn't on others), this is the one to expose otherwise we might find that in 2/3 generations time, the Uighurs have been ethnically cleansed from China.

I think it would be a fitting date to take a stand too, given this is the day we went to war with Nazi Germany in 1939.

The Chinese would quickly come up with an “legal” streaming operation and cut out the PL altogether.

Stinks of PL greed to recover Covid losses and use China as the target.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.