Premier League Protest Against Uighur Treatment

Spot on. You won't see the Premier League pulling the plug on its huge deal with Qatari state firm Bein Sports. Masters is just another hypocrite. That's the problem with selective memory. They only recall certain human rights abuses in certain countries. I understand you can never separate sport from politics but the Premier League should be very careful about becoming nakedly political.

The Uighur situation doesn't speak to wider grievances about race? They're being wiped out because of their race!

If the Premier League are going to shine a light on any humanitarian issue (and that's not to say they shouldn't on others), this is the one to expose otherwise we might find that in 2/3 generations time, the Uighurs have been ethnically cleansed from China.

I think it would be a fitting date to take a stand too, given this is the day we went to war with Nazi Germany in 1939.
Genocide without a doubt. Beijing basically enacting a third reich style final solution to Islamist terrorism by herding all Muslims into ghettos /camps. At best its internment, the worst obviously horrific to contemplate.

The Uighur situation doesn't speak to wider grievances about race? They're being wiped out because of their race!

If the Premier League are going to shine a light on any humanitarian issue (and that's not to say they shouldn't on others), this is the one to expose otherwise we might find that in 2/3 generations time, the Uighurs have been ethnically cleansed from China.

I think it would be a fitting date to take a stand too, given this is the day we went to war with Nazi Germany in 1939.

You don't have a clue why somethings take off and others don't, it doesn't matter how awful something is, it has to speak to wider grievances that resonate with a group receptive and able to protest.

So the plight of the Rohingya has not got traction, the clamp down in Hong King has not generated mass protest, the continued war in Syria, the list goes on.

The plight of the Uighurs is further hampered because it has been adopted by the right, the right don't give a fuck about the downtrodden, unless it's cover for an ulterior motive. What the Uighur people are suffering may well be terrible, but in the hands of the right, it always looks manufactured, even if it isn't.

When right wingers adopt a cause there's always the smell of rat, even if there isn't one.

Last edited:
You don't have a clue why somethings take off and others don't, it doesn't matter how awful something is, it has to speak to wider grievances that resonate with a group receptive and able to protest.

So the plight of the Rohingya has not got traction, the clamp down in Hong King has not generated mass protest, the continued war in Syria, the list goes on.

The plight of the Uighurs is further hampered because it has been adopted by the right, the right don't give a fuck about the downtrodden, unless it's cover for an ulterior motive. What the Uighur people are suffering may well be terrible, but in the hands of the right, it always looks manufactured, even if it isn't.

When right wingers adopt a cause there's always the smell of rat, even if there isn't one.

If you or others don't care about it or don't think it's worthy of protest then fair enough although I'm not sure why you care so much about who else is against it. Surely the more opposition to the treatment of the Uighurs, the better.

Anyway, you've probably already seen and heard many of the reports coming out of China so I'm definitely not going to change your mind.

Personally, I think it'd be great if the Premier League took a stand against it next season.

Masters said the Prem are up for protesting about humanitarian issues, not political ones and surely this is one of the biggest on the planet at the moment?

Although one of the downsides is the pressure it would put on Chinese players to take a stand with the potential punishment they'd receive back in China. Imagine if Ronnie O Sullivan knelt down at the Invitational Masters in solidarity, what would Ding Jun Hui do?

It would depend if doing gui do brother was there,
Dim the lights,wouldn't see a thing..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.