Premier League Rule Change fro 2019-20 Season onwards.

It means there’s no point in continuing trying to score once you get to 2-0.

Also means that if you get a rough decision off the officials in a game against a team close to you in the league it would hurt way more.

Not sure the first part is quite right.

The article I read said that the head-to-head ruling only comes into play if points, goal difference, AND goals scored are all the same. So goals scored still comes first.

Previously there would have been a play-off, but now they'll use head-to-head records to separate them. If the head-to-records are the same, they then go to away goals. If they still can't be separated, the play-off takes place.

However, I read all this in the Mail, so there's every chance that it's them who's got it wrong!
what about goal average?

A change in the The Premier League rules for determining league position has been announced. Sadly different newspapers (e.g. Daily Mail) report this rule change differently.

The consensus of news in the media is that league position at the end of the 2019/20 season will be determined by (in order):
1. Points.
2. Goal difference.
3. Goals scored.
4. Head-to-head record (with away goals counting double in the event of a tie).
5. The result of a play-off game.
Point 4 is new and makes the chance of a play-off game at the end of the season less likely.
This rule change will be confirmed when the Premier League Handbook for 2019/20 is published.

I have updated the original post to reflect this confusion.

If we'd have finished on the same points and GD as Liverpool last season then we'd have won on head to head (0-0, 2-1)
Total number of goals scored would have been looked at before the head to head, we scored 95 they scored 89 so it wouldn't have needed to go to head to head.

But would also have won on pts.
I know, I'm talking about a scenario where everything finished equal and it came down to head to head, then away goals would become the deciding factor because it was two draws.

We’d have won on goals scored, which is still a factor after points and GD. Only if clubs are tied after those 3 things will the head-to-head rule kick in.

Total number of goals scored would have been looked at before the head to head, we scored 95 they scored 89 so it wouldn't have needed to go to head to head.
You are both correct. It's decided in this order:

1. Points
2. Goal difference
3. Goals scored
4. Head to head

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.