Problem with 'new' fans

I was born and raised in the Midlands. Surrounded by a quartet of clubs (Villa, B'ham City, West Brom & Wolves). My Dad was a 'football' fan, he never showed allegiance to any club in particular except Bristol Rovers whom he had a brief spell with as a boy. He would take me to a game on a Saturday didn't really matter where though it did depend on who was playing. I never got excited about anything in particular until one day in 1974 when Manchester City played at Molyneux and I was sat in the seats nearest the North Bank where thousands of City fans stood.

From that moment the dye was cast. I decided there and then that City would be my team. What did I know about distance and travel at 8/9 years old? In those days it cost around 50p for a kid to get in any match. But my Dad stood by me and despite abject poverty, funded when possible many journeys up to Manchester Piccadilly on the train and I never missed a game in the Midlands (incl Stoke, Derby, Leicester, Forest et al). I was also a member of the famous Junior Blues Club. 36 years later i'm as passionate now as I was back then and that despite City being pants in the 80's and some of the 90's. My lad's middle names are Francis Lee and he too is a blue seasoncard holder. And he too watched City play Crewe at Maine Road on a wet Wednesday night. He also saw City lose 2 - 0 to Ipswich on Joe Royle's debut game as manager.

Moral of this tale, doesn't matter where your from football is a global game. Being a supporter is about 'supporting your team', financially, verbally and loyally' and living with the moment good and bad. Do I care that I'm not from Manch, no I don't. Does Mr Cook and Co care where I hale from or that my money comes from outside the region, I doubt it. I like many others we see and pass, travel up and down the M6 every home game win, lose or draw and irrelevant of the league we're in. Because, we love Man City period!

Greenjob said:
I was born and raised in the Midlands. Surrounded by a quartet of clubs (Villa, B'ham City, West Brom & Wolves). My Dad was a 'football' fan, he never showed allegiance to any club in particular except Bristol Rovers whom he had a brief spell with as a boy. He would take me to a game on a Saturday didn't really matter where though it did depend on who was playing. I never got excited about anything in particular until one day in 1974 when Manchester City played at Molyneux and I was sat in the seats nearest the North Bank where thousands of City fans stood.

From that moment the dye was cast. I decided there and then that City would be my team. What did I know about distance and travel at 8/9 years old? In those days it cost around 50p for a kid to get in any match. But my Dad stood by me and despite abject poverty, funded when possible many journeys up to Manchester Piccadilly on the train and I never missed a game in the Midlands (incl Stoke, Derby, Leicester, Forest et al). I was also a member of the famous Junior Blues Club. 36 years later i'm as passionate now as I was back then and that despite City being pants in the 80's and some of the 90's. My lad's middle names are Francis Lee and he too is a blue seasoncard holder. And he too watched City play Crewe at Maine Road on a wet Wednesday night. He also saw City lose 2 - 0 to Ipswich on Joe Royle's debut game as manager.

Moral of this tale, doesn't matter where your from football is a global game. Being a supporter is about 'supporting your team', financially, verbally and loyally' and living with the moment good and bad. Do I care that I'm not from Manch, no I don't. Does Mr Cook and Co care where I hale from or that my money comes from outside the region, I doubt it. I like many others we see and pass, travel up and down the M6 every home game win, lose or draw and irrelevant of the league we're in. Because, we love Man City period!

not having a go at you fella just quoting your post as it was the last, this thread is called problem with "NEW" fans, why every tom dick and harry not from manchester who has supported city for years feels the need to justify their support of city is beyond me.

anyone up to this point who supports city whether they are from manchester,stockport leicester the states or wherever are not plastic glory hunters as we have been crap for many a year.

if however we get fans who used to support other teams and suddenly support city if we become successful this will be a sad day in my eyes, anyone who changes their support from one team to another is not a proper supporter at all and i dont care how much they spend at the city shop.

if we become the light blue rags i would prefer to be eternally shit

I don't remember how I managed to get into supporting City, especially when everyone around me is a United, Liveprool, Arsenal lover. I don't remember a time when I didn't support City. Ha maybe I just wanted to be different. God knows.

I've no problem with people supporting City who aren't from City, like I'm not from City, and my "local" team, aren't exactly local.

My problem with the new fans is that they jump on the bandwaggon when things are bad and first off when thing goes pearshape.
And maybe expect to turn in 3/4-0 every week with outstanding performances, and if not will be the first to boo. But that isn't exactly 100% true as City fans who have been fans for many, many years, have turned into those types of supporters.
The real problem is that, and someone pointed it out earier, there wouldn't be a problem with it but for the fact that most of the people on here have spent so long taunting United for it and then Chelsea.
And when it having a go at United, it's not something people will tend to back track on.

New fans, "plastics" are the sign that things are good. Unfortunately they come with a bad name, that maybe some brought on themselves, but when times outside of football are so bad, God forbid people look for something to cheer about, for a team who's fortunes have changed.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
The problem with some people is they are so attached to Manchester City is Blue thing they forget people move and that people are born and influenced by what they see on Sky. I for 1 never lived in Manchester but my whole family is Manc and Blue. Now according to some as i dont have a manc accent im not allowed to call myself a supporter and have to be a fan

It really is pathetic that some people still are this way... I certainly wouldn't say it's a majority but we do seem to have a bigger number than most other clubs. It probably stems from the fact that we are the Mancunian neighbours of the club who probably have the most "out of towners" than any club anywhere else in the world (and they've not technically been in Manchester for 100 years) so it has been something of a badge of honour for us for a long long time. In fact it's sadly been one of the few things to cling on to for the last 20 odd years.... When people ask me who I support, since I no longer live there, I generally say "Well, I'm from Manchester...?" Which obviously implies that I support City. Who else? And everyone knows what I mean and why.

But things are changing, well they've changed actually even if we haven't quite caught up yet, and we're one of the most talked about clubs in the world, which means people everywhere will have an opinion about us... And when people have an opinion then some will form an allegiance and become fans/supporters (the difference between those words is just semantics btw. It means exactly the same thing.) and soon (surely to Christ!) we'll be winning trophies and selling shirts everywhere just like Chelsea suddenly are and the rags, Liverpool, Arsenal, Barcelona, Real Madrid etc have been doing for years, and why they all have such large global support. But as sure as night follows day, a bigger fan-base follows success and that's the only way anyone can sustain it over many years... We need it, so we have to embrace it!

It doesn't and never has bothered me one bit though, more the merrier I say, and I'll be glad when this attitude finally leaves us all. We'll certainly be better people for it!

In fact I promise never to use the "Well I'm from Manchester..." line again. (Unless they're obviously rags, then it's compulsory!)

See, I feel better already!

CTID

Anyone who has been to a cup game at home knows we need more fans and any new fan is more than welcome by me. The "same as United type fan" argument might work for the United haters but guess what, I support City and want the best for City. The more the merrier.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.