Problem with 'new' fans

BlakeTheBlue said:
It just seems a tad hypocritical don't you think? For years one of the things we have rightly blasted the rags about is that the majority of their fans are plastic glory hunters. Every other rag you meet has never even seen Manchester.

Now we seem to be going places and plastic fans are OK? Sorry but that's bullshit!

I would have to disagree with this. For years some City fans have accussed Utd fans of being gloryhunters (and many are), but for a lot of City fans this was just a way of lashing out at their red equivalent (All clubs have fans with a need to feel superior, and live in the reflected glory of their team - or none glory in our case!). What else was there to throw at them? Unfortunately, all people are prone to believing their own propaganda if they want to and say it often enough.
Utd have hoovered up the 'plastics' (ie those with a shallow interest), but that doesn't mean they haven't attracted a lot of fans who simply like their style of football because they got to see Utd on tv so often.
You probably have to live away from a big club's local area for a while to see that there are a huge range of mindsets/attitudes/values etc which can't be appreciated when you don't see the situation from another's perspective.
If somebody gets attracted to City and lives on the far side of the world, there is no reason that City can't be one thing to you and another to them, with a great number of aspects in common.
I say if somebody lives in Timbuktu and sees one match a year on tv, but it matters to them (and that's the important bit) then I'm glad for them and they're welcome.

I've converted a few fans to Man City in my travels over the years. They are very welcome to support the club I grew up with, no strings attached.

However, I wouldn't suggest they come on here, unless they want a load of abuse.

So they won't be accepted on football fans' forums, so what.

BlakeTheBlue said:
It just seems a tad hypocritical don't you think? For years one of the things we have rightly blasted the rags about is that the majority of their fans are plastic glory hunters. Every other rag you meet has never even seen Manchester.

Now we seem to be going places and plastic fans are OK? Sorry but that's bullshit!

I agree that it is hypocritical but it's what the game has become, the world has got smaller and smaller, people in India can pick a team in this country and watch us every week, talk to city fans on here every day and even enter compeitions to come and see us play.

We just didn't see it like that back then.

I remember watching City as a kid in the late sixties growing up in Dublin. I have always been a TV supporter. Not any more tho' ... but the point is ... I was the youngest of a brood of footies fans ... Liverpool, Everton and Leeds where the teams in the house. I got caught on the City bug. It's like a virus, once ya get it that's it for life.

In this new incarnation of City we will attract thousands of fans like me ... all over the world. Eventually they may get to their Mecca and actually see City playing.This is the world of supporters all over the world outside Manchester.

Now that me kids are grown up I really have considered shifting life to Manchester and get meself a season ticket and spend the next twenty years watching City ... it would be fukn bliss.

On here you get the feeling that some people resent the likes of me. This is a classic case of cutting yer nose of to spite yer face. 'Plastic' City fans will never turn us into 'rags' ... it ain't in the dna.

I believe City have a class about them that the rags will never have regardless of trophies. This class is what kept the club the most loyally supported in the UK through thick and thin ... definition of class!

As long as we never forget where we came from we won't ever be scummy fukrs who are only in it cos we win, we are in it cos we choose to support a team ... from a far ... that catches the imagination.

I imagine City as 'above' the gutter that is the lowest common denominator team ... which is why 'we' attracted a Sheikh ... that lad has taste!

My borrowed from the German Central Bank 2 euro's worth!

Hope to see ye all feckin' legless in delerium in May!

Not got a problem with new fans, along as they don't embarrass us like the plastic rags do to them. "epl, man c, manchester" are all tell signs of plastics

itsnevereasy said:
nashark said:
Apparently, we have a few fans in Stockport so until we get rid of them, anyone can attach themselves to the club. I do, however, maintain that your local club comes first.

I now live in Warrington, got to say that the standard of Warrington Town is fairly poor...

It shouldn't matter. It's about supporting your community and its local club.

itsnevereasy said:
nashark said:
Apparently, we have a few fans in Stockport so until we get rid of them, anyone can attach themselves to the club. I do, however, maintain that your local club comes first.

I now live in Warrington, got to say that the standard of Warrington Town is fairly poor...

I play for my local team in the Sunday league, I'll support them then ;-)

nashark said:
itsnevereasy said:

IMO; a very weak argument used in an attempt to justify blinkered jingoistic attitudes. . . if there was some kind of over-riding rule that said a football fan simply had to support their most locally placed football team then you'd be out there supporting your local pub side wouldn't you.

Think about it - then put your view. If you're still convinced as to your argument you'll be out there shouting for the Bay Horse Wanderers for sure and not bothering with the Blues eh?

hisroyalblueness said:
nashark said:

IMO; a very weak argument used in an attempt to justify blinkered jingoistic attitudes. . . if there was some kind of over-riding rule that said a football fan simply had to support their most locally placed football team then you'd be out there supporting your local pub side wouldn't you.

Think about it - then put your view. If you're still convinced as to your argument you'll be out there shouting for the Bay Horse Wanderers for sure and not bothering with the Blues eh?

I support my local team as well as City. Try again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.