Prog Rock legends - Steve Hackett

Saddleworth2

I used to think Genesis went to hell when Peter Gabriel left in 1975. I was wrong, it was when Steve Hackett left. Saw him in Glasgow a couple of weeks ago and have to say it was the best concert I have been at for many a year. Mix of his new album + Genesis songs mainly from 'Wind and Wuthering'. Excellent band, musically way way above the recent Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman gig.

They did a wonderful version of 'The Musical Box' which without doubt is the greatest prog rock song ever written

Anyone else catch this tour and agree that he rather than PG was the heart and soul of early Genesis?

I used to think Genesis went to hell when Peter Gabriel left in 1975. I was wrong, it was when Steve Hackett left. Saw him in Glasgow a couple of weeks ago and have to say it was the best concert I have been at for many a year. Mix of his new album + Genesis songs mainly from 'Wind and Wuthering'. Excellent band, musically way way above the recent Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman gig.

They did a wonderful version of 'The Musical Box' which without doubt is the greatest prog rock song ever written

Anyone else catch this tour and agree that he rather than PG was the heart and soul of early Genesis?
Spot on mate. I saw the recent Manchester and Nottingham gigs (sad git I am)
However I thought that although the first set dragged a little, the second set was awesome, how good is the ex Kajagoogoo guy? Never thought I'd hear myself say that!

I went to the Manchester gig and thought it was superb. Enjoyed 'Blood on the rooftops' and 'Musical Box' thoroughly. Seen Nick Beggs a few times too and looking forward to seeing him again on the Steven Wilson tour next year.

Excellent guitarist- quite an odd style. Solo on Firth of Fifth (Seconds Out) is brilliant. Genesis never produced a decent album again once he left.

I missed him this time round.I saw him in 2010 at the Academy 3 on Oxford Road, and stood no more than 20 feet from a guitar God. Genius is a word banded around too much, these days. Not with Hackett. That tour had Beggs on bass, he was great.The only drawback is that GODAWFUL singer. Camper than a row of tents, and couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. Keyboard player great (did Firth of Fifth intro, wow ). A bit underwhelmed by the drummer.

I love a couple of his older solo albums, Spectral Mornings and Defector are great. Wasn't that blown away by his last couple , though.

For those that like The Musical Box, there's a youtube vid of it on the 2012 tour. Awesome, bar the singer.

Too say that they didn't do a decent album after he left, is a littld harsh. I'll back Duke to the hilt. Even bits of We Can't Dance and Calling All Stations are pretty damned good.

I went to the Manchester gig and thought it was superb. Enjoyed 'Blood on the rooftops' and 'Musical Box' thoroughly. Seen Nick Beggs a few times too and looking forward to seeing him again on the Steven Wilson tour next year.

Wonder if Wilson will also have his Porcupine Tree keyboard player, Richard Barbieri (Ex- Japan) with him again?

I missed him this time round.I saw him in 2010 at the Academy 3 on Oxford Road, and stood no more than 20 feet from a guitar God. Genius is a word banded around too much, these days. Not with Hackett. That tour had Beggs on bass, he was great.The only drawback is that GODAWFUL singer. Camper than a row of tents, and couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. Keyboard player great (did Firth of Fifth intro, wow ). A bit underwhelmed by the drummer.

I love a couple of his older solo albums, Spectral Mornings and Defector are great. Wasn't that blown away by his last couple , though.

For those that like The Musical Box, there's a youtube vid of it on the 2012 tour. Awesome, bar the singer.

Too say that they didn't do a decent album after he left, is a littld harsh. I'll back Duke to the hilt. Even bits of We Can't Dance and Calling All Stations are pretty damned good.
The singer is Nad Sylvan and is a bit 'fey'. Thought he captured the spirit of old Genesis and sang the Genesis stuff pretty faithfully albeit he lacks Peter Gabriels vocal range. Genesis lost me around the Duke album and for god knows what reason, I never followed Hackett's solo career. What a mistake that was. I went to the concert and was totally blown away by him and his band. His lineup was Nick Beggs on bass who as you say is some player. Gary O'toole on drums and vocals - thought he was pretty solid and no mean vocalist. Performed in a bloody 3 piece suit with shades for some reason. Rob Townsend was very effective on wind instruments and Roger King very impressive on keyboards. Coming just a month or so after Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman gig, there was really no comparison in terms of musicality and energy. Will not miss another tour.

Saw him at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane in 1980 or 81 when he'd not long left Genesis. He was brilliant. Particularly memorable was the encore where he did a beautiful acoustic guitar piece and messed up half way through. He had to stop and hold his hands up and say sorry folks I've completely messed that up, would you mind if I started again. We all cheered!

i remember seeing him the at the lowry the same day we beat united 1-0. 2014 i think it was. he did all genesis stuff and yes imo the musical box really stood out that night too. was a great gig. very original way of playing the guitar.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.