Prog rock

Don’t know how to link videos, and who really knows what prog is, but check out mastodon. my favourite metalish band, start with the album crack the skye

Go on you tube and put the video of your choice on. Then go to the address bar at the top with your mouse point and left click and it will all turn blue. Then right click and scroll down and left click copy. Then go on to your Moon post and left click mouse until curser flashes intermittently then right click mouse and scroll down to paste and left click and Bobs your uncle.

Just bought this:

At just under 600 pages it is possibly, as at least one reviewer has said, a bit overblown, just like the music it celebrates. Can't wait to get stuck into it though

Be interested to hear what you think of that. I read one called “Citizens of Hope and Glory” which was ok

Not a prog fan but as a more mainstream rock fan, I'm a big Rush fan, but how do you proggers rate them.

I was reading an article on what makes a progressive rock band and it’s not easy to define. For instance:

long tracks sometimes extending beyond 20 minutes
songs having multiple time signatures
Excellent musicianship
Usually keyboards and lots of them
classical influences and sometimes classically trained musicians
abstract lyrics often accused of being meaningless/flowery

Rush in my opinion fall in to a few of those although their lyrics (much like Marillions ) were excellent

Of course the above are largely prog cliches but it’s hard to come up with a definitive list

I was reading an article on what makes a progressive rock band and it’s not easy to define. For instance:

long tracks sometimes extending beyond 20 minutes
songs having multiple time signatures
Excellent musicianship
Usually keyboards and lots of them
classical influences and sometimes classically trained musicians
abstract lyrics often accused of being meaningless/flowery

Rush in my opinion fall in to a few of those although their lyrics (much like Marillions ) were excellent

Of course the above are largely prog cliches but it’s hard to come up with a definitive list

I was reading the thread and thinking what defines a prog rock band and you posted this, it's a good definition, and sort of depends on the era as well, there haven't been many new ones over recent years.

The one's still going have tended to grow out of prog usually down to changes in personel, Genesis did, it Collins took 4 or 5 albums before he started to have a greater influence being more commercial, Gabriel really left prog behind when he went solo, Marillion found a new identity when Fish left. Floyd grew out of prog when Waters left then they individually played the old stuff to millions for years.

Yes and a few other bands still do a great job of earning a living by recreating old stuff on tour and not bothering about new stuff.

As for Rush, being a massive fan since the late 70's, I think they cross over several rock genres like no other, the first album (without Peart) was really Led Zep influenced, but after Peart joined his influence and lyric writing took them through prog rock 75-79, rock 80-84, keyboard influenced rock 85-89, rock again 91-96, the five year break saw them return in 2002 with Vapor Trails as heavy rock (not a keyboard in sight), Snakes and Arrows in 2007 has a definite Blues-Rock influence, and the final studio album Clockwork Angels combines nearly all of it, a concept album with classical string parts (definitely prog influenced), heavy guitar parts, and keyboard lead sections.

For me prog was defined by Gentle Giant and King Crimson.
I'm surprised that a lot of fan's of the genre limit themselves to the big name British bands like Yes, Genesis, Floyd, ELP etc. when there are heaps of great prog bands the world over, when prog fizzled out in the UK and Punk took over, foreign bands took up the mantle, bands like Starcastle (a Yes clone) made better albums than Yes in the 80s onwards.
Eloy from Germany, made many superb albums, and one of my favorites PFM from Italy. But there's literally hundreds of them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.