Proud Dad

Congrats mate, it must be a good feeling. My lad is 4 and is mustard, I'm not looking forward to the ruthless business of academies etc..

He's not in school yet and all the local coaches are crowing about him and how he'll get picked up etc.. I just like watching him play. It's the best thing any dad could ever watch. To see him round someone and score or Cruyff turn a Kid 3 years older than him is better than City scoring and most of all it's better than watching the girl doing a street dance class,!!!!!

Pagie said:
Took my little lad to his football training this morning one of the coaches works for City and pulled me at the end, wants to send him for some sort of 6 week trial, hes only 5 so I know it doesnt mean anything at all yet but so proud !!

Good luck. I've had the same feeling a number of years ago, my eldest lad was signed by Burnley on schoolboy forms at a young age and spent the best part of 6 years with them. Obviously it ended in disappointment when it came to offering pro contracts. One lad from that team of young school boys has made it in the pro game though. Richard Chaplow who I think now plays for Southampton, so it does happen.

Enjoy it whilst it lasts, but don't get pissed off when you flog all the way to God knows where to watch him on a Sunday morning and he doesn't get a sniff of a game, week after week after week.

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
Pagie said:
Took my little lad to his football training this morning one of the coaches works for City and pulled me at the end, wants to send him for some sort of 6 week trial, hes only 5 so I know it doesnt mean anything at all yet but so proud !!

Good luck. I've had the same feeling a number of years ago, my eldest lad was signed by Burnley on schoolboy forms at a young age and spent the best part of 6 years with them. Obviously it ended in disappointment when it came to offering pro contracts. One lad from that team of young school boys has made it in the pro game though. Richard Chaplow who I think now plays for Southampton, so it does happen.

Enjoy it whilst it lasts, but don't get pissed off when you flog all the way to God knows where to watch him on a Sunday morning and he doesn't get a sniff of a game, week after week after week.

THIS ^^^

The main challlenge could be managing your own expectations.....

Trite though it sounds ... your lad values your estimation of his worth as tops...

I have been through the MCFC Junior Academy thing with my lad (6 months at City , trials at Blackburn etc)...

hope fotr your lad that it works out bu be careful of the emotional investment side of things....

Even atCity when the kids were 7 ... there was developing an edgy, competetive vibe amongst parents... yuk

dom said:
Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
Pagie said:

THIS ^^^

The main challlenge could be managing your own expectations.....

Trite though it sounds ... your lad values your estimation of his worth as tops...

I have been through the MCFC Junior Academy thing with my lad (6 months at City , trials at Blackburn etc)...

hope fotr your lad that it works out bu be careful of the emotional investment side of things....

Even atCity when the kids were 7 ... there was developing an edgy, competetive vibe amongst parents... yuk

Totally agree with what you say about the parents.

The best player in my lads team was a lad called Robert Grimes, awesome player but just didn't make it. When my lad was released he was gutted and it put him off playing football totally. It's only in these last 2 years he's been getting back playing 5 aside and some 11 aside.

He's in his late 20's now (sorry son as he posts on here so will read this) but he's told me he been invited for trials at Nelson which is a semi pro outfit....least I don't now have to run him to every training session and match.

Bear in mind when you have a lad whose that talented at a young age, he'll be playing for his school team, town team, county team, national team and then training with the pro club at least twice a week with a game on a Sunday.

Not much time for fun trust me I speak from experience.

Anyway like I stated earlier be a proud dad, I've been there it's nice.

This is it, academies when kids are 7-12 etc really can fuk you about, your lad and yourself can think something big is happening then they spit you out without a care in the world, I hear it all the time, Tottenham are one of the worst they frankly don't give a shit.

Not until your 12-14 does push come to shove, that's why I'm happy to manage my boy let him play, enjoy himself and be part of a team that is invaluable for a lad more than thinking he's made it at 8!

One of best mates lad played in Goal for City's Academy yesterday, think they lost 5-6 to Somalia. My mate and his lad are big united fans but he's really proud that he got called up to play. Obviously I haven't been taking the piss that his lad plays for City coming from a big united supporting family.

allan harper said:
One of best mates lad played in Goal for City's Academy yesterday, think they lost 5-6 to Somalia. My mate and his lad are big united fans but he's really proud that he got called up to play. Obviously I haven't been taking the piss that his lad plays for City coming from a big united supporting family.
I have similar situation in my family but the other way round, his dad and him are both City season card holders but the lad is in the Utd academy, Utd know this and the lad has a good Craic with the coaches about it especially this season..anyway he is an U13 been there since 6 years old and the way him and his dad look at it is he is playing for one of the best U13 teams in the country getting the best coaching and nothing more don't expect to much and take each season as it comes so when the obvious does happen the disappointment can be managed...the other thing is the experiences the lad gets he is away in France at the minute playing in a tournament on Bordeux ground where they got to the final but were Beaten on penalties by Real Sociedad, add to that trips to Germany, Spain the Check Republic and playing in front of 50,000 people at the Ajax Arena against Ajax U13s which was shown on MUTV as a warm up for Edwin Vandersa's testimonial and it ain't bad at all, just take it for what it is and when the inevitable happens be ready to pick up the bits

Thanks for all the kinds words, encouragement and advice. As a person Im generally pretty negative anyway so for me Im not expecting anything at all Im just enjoying the moment. Do I honestly believe in 15 years time my lad will be playing in the prem. Never in a million years. But just to have seen him kitted out in Citys training gear is something that will live with me forever, even more so the fact that Im a big blue and so is he. He might grow up to hate football but right now Im loving the experience and so is he. Hes moving up a year early to under 7s next year at Broadheath Central and will be playing at the JJB every other week in proper games etc.....which should be fun. As for the pic, I believe you arent allowed to take pics on the Platt Lane complex so I decided to take it down just to be on the safe side.

Pagie said:
Thanks for all the kinds words, encouragement and advice. As a person Im generally pretty negative anyway so for me Im not expecting anything at all Im just enjoying the moment. Do I honestly believe in 15 years time my lad will be playing in the prem. Never in a million years. But just to have seen him kitted out in Citys training gear is something that will live with me forever, even more so the fact that Im a big blue and so is he. He might grow up to hate football but right now Im loving the experience and so is he. Hes moving up a year early to under 7s next year at Broadheath Central and will be playing at the JJB every other week in proper games etc.....which should be fun. As for the pic, I believe you arent allowed to take pics on the Platt Lane complex so I decided to take it down just to be on the safe side.

Hi Pagie, it's worth checking with the club that he can be moved up early to under 7's.

My lad is officially an under 4 but plays with under 5's and under 6's. But I've been told that the one year they can't be bumped up is the first proper year of junior football under 7's.
i.e. an under 7 can play in under 8's, and under 8 in the under 9's etc.. but an under 6 can't play under 7's, That first proper year is strictly enforced.

If you find out that's not the case let me know as I may of been mis-informed

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.