Proud Dad

Pagie said:
bluemoon27 said:
same thing happened to my lad when he was 5,City kept him on for just short of 2 yrs then let him go and he was devastated (so was i),so hope the same thing doesnt happen to your lad

It's a pretty awful feeling even more so when it's the club you both love but to be expected I guess at the end of the day he's only 5 he may hate football when he's older. I've taken the positives he's learnt a lot as have I.

Messi was told he was too small...

Seriously, that is of course a ridiculous comparison to make, as I'm sure you know having described yourself as generally being realistic/pessimistic. But the point is that anything could happen in terms of his future ability as a footballer. He's only 5. And anyway, it really is true that the most important thing is enjoying the game. Whether playing it - or watching it, like most of us do.

On that note, check out this brilliant little 10 minute film. It's heartwarming I promise

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMhnDhLKsFc[/youtube]

seemedownkippaxstreet said:
it really is true that the most important thing is enjoying the game. Whether playing it - or watching it, like most of us do.
Very much this,& applies to all ages!;)

My lad had a spell at Platt Lane which ended after about 5 months, he's a good little player but i'm honest enough to know that there were a lot of 6 year olds who were a lot better, we just told him that it was an honour to be asked and that they've now finished the sessions, which is largely based on the truth.

No child of 6 needs to be told that a club dont think theyre good enough, especially the club they love and follow.

I run his team and we've played quite a few good teams in the area and in tournaments, we've also been invited in to play Citys u6 lads, which we did and had a great time.

I personally think City do things well at academy level and if anyone has city mad young lads the saturday morning sessions at Platt Lane are a great way for them to play at Platt Lane and receive coaching from professional coaches, £ 6 for a 2 hour session.

I get approached by scouts all the time at our games, tbh it was a buzz at first but after hearing a few stories and talking to parents who have been through experiences with clubs I believe it can get a bit unsavoury.

Allegiances aside I was approached by 2 blokes at a recent tournament who looked like they'd just rolled out of the nearest boozer, lo and behold they flash Utd badges at me and talk in hushed tones about being interested to talk to me about a couple of my players....

I took the opportunity to step outside of the tournament area and have a crafty cig whilst we talked....

As they showed me their badges I screwed up my face to which they said...Oh are u a blue, I said yes, but i'll go easy on you.....they proceeded to slag Citys "strategy" off saying theyre gonna come a cropper.......I listened with a smirk as I knew what was coming....

they asked about my best 2 players, I informed them that the best player was in Citys EDS squad and that him and his parents loved it at Platt lane....oh, a blue is he they said, no said I, theyre massives reds ....well they can go to more than 1 academy you know ....Oh I know i said....he was at "your place" for 12 months but his dad didnt rate it and pulled him out to take him to City........

What about number 23 they said....Oh he's at your place now I said, he went to City very recently for 3 weeks but his dad got a call from the top man at your place to say he'd found out that he'd been going to City and said he wasn't welcome at Utd if he continued to go to City, any other club is alright, but not City......

I took my last drag on my fag looked at them both with a cheeky grin and shot em a look that said ' you're a right pair of bellends aren't ya ' almost laughing in their faces..... I stepped back onto the pitch area and didn't see em again......

Most kids just need to learn how to enjoy football with their mates and if an opportunity comes along to go and train at an academy for a while should just enjoy it..........I know some people will say that if they make the most of it and really knuckle down etc, take it seriously and apply themselves then who knows where it could lead etc.....whilst theres that chance I think boys who are just naturally talented find it themselves, they just stand out, balance, decision making, technique etc......being too tough on kids and applying adult values to it all is really just setting your lad up for a fall if as an adult you're thinking " theres always a chance ".

Just use the club as much as theyre using you and your lad, take it for what it is and enjoy it, its certainly a lot different to when I played as a kid, theres at least 3 prem clubs at every decent tournament these days.....oh and Bolton..

City63 said:
seemedownkippaxstreet said:
it really is true that the most important thing is enjoying the game. Whether playing it - or watching it, like most of us do.
Very much this,& applies to all ages!;)
This thread reminds me of lots of junior football memories with my son. Good comments and a good 10min vid (courtesy seeme...). One of my Jun Football memories was of my lad's team being asked en masse "do we play the best players or give all the squad a game?" All the lads agreed to the latter (with no prompting). Heart warming. Some of the notsogood players at that time, ended up being the stars a few years later. Good luck to all who play! p.s. It took 4 seasons but they finally won the division!

Eags said:
My lad had a spell at Platt Lane which ended after about 5 months, he's a good little player but i'm honest enough to know that there were a lot of 6 year olds who were a lot better, we just told him that it was an honour to be asked and that they've now finished the sessions, which is largely based on the truth.

No child of 6 needs to be told that a club dont think theyre good enough, especially the club they love and follow.

I run his team and we've played quite a few good teams in the area and in tournaments, we've also been invited in to play Citys u6 lads, which we did and had a great time.

I personally think City do things well at academy level and if anyone has city mad young lads the saturday morning sessions at Platt Lane are a great way for them to play at Platt Lane and receive coaching from professional coaches, £ 6 for a 2 hour session.

I get approached by scouts all the time at our games, tbh it was a buzz at first but after hearing a few stories and talking to parents who have been through experiences with clubs I believe it can get a bit unsavoury.

Allegiances aside I was approached by 2 blokes at a recent tournament who looked like they'd just rolled out of the nearest boozer, lo and behold they flash Utd badges at me and talk in hushed tones about being interested to talk to me about a couple of my players....

I took the opportunity to step outside of the tournament area and have a crafty cig whilst we talked....

As they showed me their badges I screwed up my face to which they said...Oh are u a blue, I said yes, but i'll go easy on you.....they proceeded to slag Citys "strategy" off saying theyre gonna come a cropper.......I listened with a smirk as I knew what was coming....

they asked about my best 2 players, I informed them that the best player was in Citys EDS squad and that him and his parents loved it at Platt lane....oh, a blue is he they said, no said I, theyre massives reds ....well they can go to more than 1 academy you know ....Oh I know i said....he was at "your place" for 12 months but his dad didnt rate it and pulled him out to take him to City........

What about number 23 they said....Oh he's at your place now I said, he went to City very recently for 3 weeks but his dad got a call from the top man at your place to say he'd found out that he'd been going to City and said he wasn't welcome at Utd if he continued to go to City, any other club is alright, but not City......

I took my last drag on my fag looked at them both with a cheeky grin and shot em a look that said ' you're a right pair of bellends aren't ya ' almost laughing in their faces..... I stepped back onto the pitch area and didn't see em again......

Most kids just need to learn how to enjoy football with their mates and if an opportunity comes along to go and train at an academy for a while should just enjoy it..........I know some people will say that if they make the most of it and really knuckle down etc, take it seriously and apply themselves then who knows where it could lead etc.....whilst theres that chance I think boys who are just naturally talented find it themselves, they just stand out, balance, decision making, technique etc......being too tough on kids and applying adult values to it all is really just setting your lad up for a fall if as an adult you're thinking " theres always a chance ".

Just use the club as much as theyre using you and your lad, take it for what it is and enjoy it, its certainly a lot different to when I played as a kid, theres at least 3 prem clubs at every decent tournament these days.....oh and Bolton..

Thanks for your input mate and I agree with and have taken onboard all you have said. I cant imagine there are many kids at all that go to a club at 5 and are still there and make the first team. Just out of interest which club does your lad play for ?? Everything you say above is spot on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.