Proud to be Irish, today.

mad4city

Christ knows we've got an awful lot wrong in this little country over the years but yesterday, in voting a resounding YES to the Equality Referendum, we definitely got something fundamentally decent and fair right.

Given the international perception of Ireland as a conservative, deeply Catholic country, I'd like to think that this event - the first time anywhere that gay marriage has been legalised by popular vote - might prove a catalyst to other "conservative" territories around this fucked up world to be fairer to every mother's child.

karen7 said:
I'm surprised at the result to be honest but good on them

Twas caused by a huge turnout of younger voters, something that will hopefully continue into future votes.

aguero93:20 said:
karen7 said:

Twas caused by a huge turnout of younger voters, something that will hopefully continue into future votes.

I saw on the news that there was a big effort to get everyone home for the vote

karen7 said:
aguero93:20 said:
karen7 said:

I saw on the news that there was a big effort to get everyone home for the vote

Yep, huge credit to all who came back from overseas to vote, they made some tremendous sacrifices, cousin and his missus came back from New Zealand, bringing them out for dinner and a few drinks tonight. We need to sort that shit out next though, at least for referendums, it's fucking unreal a country with so large a diaspora doesn't have the right to vote from overseas.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.