Qatar 2022

hawkhurst

5 years to go and I don't think it will ever feel right that Qatar is hosting it. This article by Jonathan Liew in the Independent is brilliantly depressing. Easy to say as a fan who will never get the chance to play in a WC, but if I was a player knowing what is going on there I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable going out there. Sounds like a truly horrible place run by some horrible people.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-stadiums-modern-slavery-kafala-a7980816.html

5 years to go and I don't think it will ever feel right that Qatar is hosting it. This article by Jonathan Liew in the Independent is brilliantly depressing. Easy to say as a fan who will never get the chance to play in a WC, but if I was a player knowing what is going on there I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable going out there. Sounds like a truly horrible place run by some horrible people.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-stadiums-modern-slavery-kafala-a7980816.html

All footballers should refuse to play there in the World Cup.
How can Qatar get away with modern day slavery and yet still get awarded the honour of hosting the World Cup?
FIFA is so corrupt and the heads of it need to be sacked and let's start again with an open and honest heirachy.

Just boycott the fucking thing. I'm already boycotting the 2018 World Cup and haven't watched a minute of the qualifiers and I'll do likewise for Qatar 2022. Fuck FIFA the bent bastards. On top of that they'll fuck up the European League for at least one, possibly more than one, season.

Qatar 2022 World Cup: Row developing over 'risk report' claims

A row has developed over a 'risk report' that claims there is "an increasing political risk that Qatar may not host the World Cup in 2022".

The study, by management consultants Cornerstone Global, assesses the impact of the current diplomatic crisis between the tiny, gas-rich emirate and its neighbours.

However, in a statement, Qatar 2022's Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy questioned the motives of the report, and said the authors had an "affiliation to the countries blockading Qatar".

It said: "There is absolutely no risk to the future of the first World Cup in the Middle East."

Organisers also insisted there had been "no impact on preparations as a result of the ongoing and illegal blockade against Qatar".

The document warns construction companies working on the country's $200bn (£153bn) infrastructure programme that it is a "high-risk project".

It claims "tournament insiders and regional experts have both stated to us that it is far from certain Doha will actually host the tournament".

Background
Fifa controversially awarded Qatar the 2022 World Cup in 2010, with the event subsequently moved to winter because of soaring summer temperatures.

Organisers hailed the event as a symbol of regional unity, but in June, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) cut ties with their Gulf neighbour saying it was destabilising the Middle East and supporting terrorism.

Qatar strongly denies the allegation and has rejected a list of conditions for the lifting of sanctions.

Saudi Arabia has closed its land border with Qatar, while all four countries have cut air and sea links with the kingdom.

The report
Cornerstone says it advises clients "to give them unique insights to the reality of doing business in complex and challenging environments".

Its founder is Ghanem Nuseibeh, a visiting fellow at King's College London, who has been critical of Qatar on social media.

Entitled 'Qatar in focus: Is the Fifa World Cup 2022 in danger?', the report says "Western diplomats have privately stated they do not know whether or not the tournament will take place as planned.

"The reasons for this are many and include open allegations of corruption - both in the bidding process and in the infrastructure development," the report said.

"Qatar is under greater pressure regarding its hosting of the tournament... the current political crisis has seen - or at least raised the possibility of - a Qatari opposition movement emerging.

"This means an increased risk for those working on, or seeking contracts for World Cup 2022 infrastructure... with a risk of non-payment and no realistic ability to enforce any legal contracts.

"Given the current political situation... it is certainly possible that the tournament will not be held in Qatar.

"Any cancellation of Qatar hosting the World Cup 2022 will likely be abrupt and will leave contractors involved in a precarious situation that may not be easily resolved."

The report continues: "Construction sources in Qatar have informed us that companies working on the World Cup, whilst not panicking yet, are already feeling the impact of the sanctions, with logistics proving costly and challenging to re-organise in light of the border closures with its neighbours.

"A group of five project managers working for a variety of small multi-national companies, all with government contracts related to World Cup construction, told us in July 2017 that their costs have increased by between 20 and 25% due to logistical problems."

Cornerstone also says that "Sources within the project have indicated that several members of the Qatar 2022 Supreme Committee have threatened to resign over excessive interference by senior officials on spending and allegations of corruption."

Problem is every world cup has been awarded by a corrupt organisstion Qatar is no different Russia , South Africa , Brazil to name but a few .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.