Question for Gary James or any other knowledgeable blue.

given_is_ironman

In the 1999 play-off final why wasn't the Manchester Coat of arms displayed on the shirt? This got me thinking after reading it on City's wikipedia page-

"The last official acknowledgement that the Manchester coat of arms would adorn the Manchester City shirt at a Wembley or cup final was when the club released a press release in 1997 revealing their new crest, in which the club stated: "The new club crest is based on elements from the original "Arms of the City of Manchester", the crest which is still used by Manchester City PLC today and worn on the team shirt for all Wembley occasions"

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_City_F.C._strip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_City_F.C._strip</a> Under the sub heading "Manchester Coat of Arms"

Sorry, I don't know the answer but I think Gary has posted something about this in the past - you may find it with the search facility.

Good luck.

nijinskybell said:
Sorry, I don't know the answer but I think Gary has posted something about this in the past - you may find it with the search facility.

Good luck.

Can't find anything with the search function or google. Rubbish!

given_is_ironman said:
nijinskybell said:

Good luck.

Can't find anything with the search function or google. Rubbish!

forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=4353960&sid=e47e3a23a453dd1d80676b444529f02f

Easy when you know how ;)

not sure about 1999 but i'm sure the coat of arms was a hologram on the
players numbers during the f.a. cup final against stoke last season.

These might help...

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/search.php?keywords=coat+of+arms&terms=all&author=gary+james&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">search.php?keywords=coat+of+arms&terms=all&author=gary+james&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search</a>

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=manchester+coat+of+arms&author=gary+james&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=manchester+coat+of+arms&author=gary+james&start=10</a>

As a former 'matchday street-trader'.. 'hats, scarves, an' all ya' badges' .. and I spent many years working for Umbro in the late 80s early 90s. It dawned on City (and many other clubs) that the copyright on their badge did not belong to them, the Manchester Coat of Arms could be stuck on anythin' and sold without havin' to pay royalties. as could the Boat and rose circular badge.. as no one at the club had ever bothered to look into it City's badge could be used without fear of prosecution. Then, Francis Lee took over, and being a very good business man, realised the ammounts of cash being squandered, so he got his people/Umbro to design and copyright a new badge, that's why we ended up in 'laser blue' shirts (just wtf was that all about ?) Now, everythin' City is closely monitored for copyright violations, I bought a flag for Wembley for mi'girl and have only recently spotted the subtle badge changes to avoid prosecution. There used to be a bloke at Highbury who sold all things Arsenal, but he used to just stick a cannon on everythin', everyone knew it represented Arsenal, but there was nothin' the club could do to stop him, they took him to court, but the judge said you can't copyright a gun, so he won, not usin the club name, just a cannon.. So I suspect that not usin' the old club crests might have somethin' to do (as 'kin usual) with money, and how to bleed the fans dry.

thinking about this it must have something to do with not being a demestic final

carling cup, f.a cup.

the badge was changed to manchester coat of arms to state our pride
in representing the city in domestic finals............

now too get shot down.........

Seem to remember hearing it was because it was a third tier play-off, not something we should have been too proud to be playing in. It's not exactly a cup final.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.