Question for 'older' City fans

terryphelan

It's probably a bit silly to aim a question at older City fans on a fan forum, I'm guessing the average age on here seems to be around student age, but my question for any older fans is:

Do you worry that you are losing touch with City a bit? I'm 30 but I've recently had a couple of conversations with some City fans in my dad's generation, 50-60s, who feel exactly the same way. One didn't renew their 20+ years season ticket last season just for this very reason.

It's not a Mancini thing because these conversations were before yesterday, but I guess this just amplifies it.

They didn't feel like there were any true 'City' players left anymore. I'm too young for Lee bell and Summerbee but even my generation there were players who were City through and through, they absolutely loved the club, could speak intelligible English in interviews which helped - you felt more of an affinity with them. If they lost a derby they were truly gutted, almost as gutted as us the fans.

I'm talking about the likes of Paul Lake, David White, Ian Brightwell, Quinny, even Richard Edghill. Even some of the foreign players like Kinky - he still comes to see us play now and again, I can't imagine Adebayor doing the same.

Now with a foreign manager and I'm not going all Nick griffin here by the way, I detest racism, but it just feels like the older fans are somehow losing touch with the club.

I hope this isn't the general consensus, just interested to know your opinions. If you're younger than mid 20's this question/thread isn't really for you, I don't want a backlash please!!

terryphelan said:
It's probably a bit silly to aim a question at older City fans on a fan forum, I'm guessing the average age on here seems to be around student age, but my question for any older fans is:

Do you worry that you are losing touch with City a bit? I'm 30 but I've recently had a couple of conversations with some City fans in my dad's generation, 50-60s, who feel exactly the same way. One didn't renew their 20+ years season ticket last season just for this very reason.

It's not a Mancini thing because these conversations were before yesterday, but I guess this just amplifies it.

They didn't feel like there were any true 'City' players left anymore. I'm too young for Lee bell and Summerbee but even my generation there were players who were City through and through, they absolutely loved the club, could speak intelligible English in interviews which helped - you felt more of an affinity with them. If they lost a derby they were truly gutted, almost as gutted as us the fans.

I'm talking about the likes of Paul Lake, David White, Ian Brightwell, Quinny, even Richard Edghill. Even some of the foreign players like Kinky - he still comes to see us play now and again, I can't imagine Adebayor doing the same.

Now with a foreign manager and I'm not going all Nick griffin here by the way, I detest racism, but it just feels like the older fans are somehow losing touch with the club.

I hope this isn't the general consensus, just interested to know your opinions. If you're younger than mid 20's this question/thread isn't really for you, I don't want a backlash please!!

If anything it has brought the older generation back.

I'm 46 and am glad we got rid of Hughes

not sure about Mancini though!!!!!

scottyboi said:
terryphelan said:

If anything it has brought the older generation back.

How old are you out of interest?

I'm 53 and I've been a Blue since the 60's, and I'm definitely not losing interest in the club. If anything the opposite is happening. These are exciting times for us and I'm glad I'm still around to see at first hand the transformation of the club.

Naturally you'll get one or two older fans saying It's not like it used to be. But then you could say that about absolutely anything.

not at all mate, I still feel the same affection for them as i did when i first attended in 72, i loved Dave Watson, Ali Bernabia and Nic Anelka........i am age 49

My dad is the same he feels just the same passion, he began in 1948 and his favourite player was Don Revie......but he now thinks NDJ is the business............he is 78......

you just love City whatever.........

totally agree with Kentblue

I just hope I live long enough to see us win something again!!!!

I am 43, (not that old) but we can't have it both ways in the modern game I am afraid times have changed since those far off glory days, I do think there is something of the gallant looser mentality with some City fans, it was bred into us through years of struggle, as someone posted yesterday "They preferred it when we were shit"

how can you not feel like you are losing touch, when over the space of 3 years the club changes beyond all recognition. the thing is, we are changing for the better, not worse and hopefully most fans young and old will agree, that is a good thing.

p.s. back in those days the players had a smoke at half time, things are always changing.

p.p.s. bit unfair to target Ade, he has only been playing for us for months, not years. remember how long it took for the goat to start producing regularly.

THIS IS NOT A KNOCK ON HUGHES....but a lot of that is down to the fact that other than Weiss(and he hasn't played much), we haven't had any younger players coming up thru to the first team since Sven. There is always an ebb and flow to this kind of thing and with luck we might get a few more, indeed Hughes spoke of following a more Arsenal type system of bringing youngsters through.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.