R Kelly

(In)famously, legendary rocker, Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin in Mississippi in 1957 where such things were perfectly legal then. In fact, marrying at 13 - and even marrying one's first cousin once removed - wasn't unusual in that part of the world. Lewis's only 'crime' was to do so before the divorce from his second wife had been finalised thereby resulting in a charge of bigamy. Paedophilia by any other name if you ask me.

(In)famously, legendary rocker, Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin in Mississippi in 1957 where such things were perfectly legal then. In fact, marrying at 13 - and even marrying one's first cousin once removed - wasn't unusual in that part of the world. Lewis's only 'crime' was to do so before the divorce from his second wife had been finalised thereby resulting in a charge of bigamy. Paedophilia by any other name if you ask me.
Goodness gracious...

@Pedestrian
Perhaps I phrased it wrongly. The original statement said in Italy you could legally consent to sexual intercourse when you are 14. That seems to imply a 14yr old can have sex with a 40 year old. In my book he is a paedophile, in Italy it seems not.
I was trying to understand why the law allowed 14 yr old to give consent. If two14 yr olds were having sex and they did not want to make the lad a criminal I can understand it. But otherwise its just wrong.

I don’t know about Italy but in Germany, where the age of consent is also 14, it is only legal if both parties are under 18. It sounds shocking but it’s probably a sensible way of not criminalising children.

The real scandal for me as far as the western world goes, are the child marriage laws in America. There are multiple states where there is no minimum age for being allowed to marry.

The most extreme examples I’ve read about are three 10 year old girls in Tennessee who married men in there mid 20s. And while the general age of consent is 18 in America, the majority of states have exemptions in their statuary rape laws that exempt married children from being raped in consensual relationships.

I don’t know about Italy but in Germany, where the age of consent is also 14, it is only legal if both parties are under 18. It sounds shocking but it’s probably a sensible way of not criminalising children.

The real scandal for me as far as the western world goes, are the child marriage laws in America. There are multiple states where there is no minimum age for being allowed to marry.

The most extreme examples I’ve read about are three 10 year old girls in Tennessee who married men in there mid 20s. And while the general age of consent is 18 in America, the majority of states have exemptions in their statuary rape laws that exempt married children from being raped in consensual relationships.
Your first paragraph is what I was asking. If two 15 yr olds are having sex don't criminalise them (him)

I never knew this until recently that Priscilla was only 14 when he met her.
Creepy,and I've just watched the latest Elvis movie thinking he was an alright bloke.
Gonna give myself 40 lashes.
Was there no mention of this in the movie.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.