Racism on the Kippax/Maine Road

mcfcliam

South Stand 118 and NOT the Blue Alliance Liam!
In the 70's, 80's and early 90's, what was it like? Was there much racism on the Kippax or at Maine Road in general?

Heard various stories of Everton being quite bad, throwing bananas at John Barnes etc.

We have a lot of support from the black community in Manchester and I remember Pigeonho telling a story about how some guy called someone a 'black bastard' and some rasta guy turned around and gave him an evil glare, as you do!

I don't believe racism has been 100% wiped out of English football but jesus, how times have changed!

City were a very positive club in this respect. Always been a club that blacks weren't afraid to follow, which was very rare, our firms were mixed, whites, mixed-race and blacks (extremely rare) and of course Alex Williams probably being the first properly accepted black footballer.

everyone used to be at it - but it was considered the norm. Education has helped and now I can't remember hearing anything nowadays

At Wembley when Nani ran over to take a corner, a few minutes after rolling around like a twat, a Blue behind me shouted 'you black cu...' and before he finished saying '****', he went 'whoops!'

I think I'll put that down to the occasion rather than actually presuming he's a racist, even though it's a horrible thing to say.

I've been going since the 80's and I don't think it's ever really been an issue at City. We've had numerous black players represent the club over the years, and it can also be argued that a certain section of our past 'top boys' weren't white so clumpings would have been dished out had it been. I'm always proud to say I'm a City fan but this is one thing that really sticks out for me like a shining beacon. Especially when you compair it to Everton, Chelsea, Leeds and others.

Skashion said:
City were a very positive club in this respect. Always been a club that blacks weren't afraid to follow, which was very rare, our firms were mixed, whites, mixed-race and blacks (extremely rare) and of course Alex Williams probably being the first properly accepted black footballer.

Yep...City, along with Birmingham and Arsenal have a huge following by the black communities of their respective City's.

City did have an nf faction on the kippax in the late 70s but in the main we haven't had major problem. There's always the odd
Knockhead in any crowd. weren't a few singing "town full of pakis' at Bradford about 10 years ago? Overall we have always been better than most.

ive asked my dad about this too, we're of indian descent and have never had any problems at city. i asked him whether he experienced any trouble but he said he had no trouble at all

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.