Racist incidents on the rise?

I had the misfortune of getting the tram to wythenshawe hospital last week and was called a "fat man bag pussy ****" by a man wearing a string vest.

The joys of public transport.

I had the misfortune of getting the tram to wythenshawe hospital last week and was called a "fat man bag pussy ****" by a man wearing a string vest.

The joys of public transport.

Lucky he didn't call you a shitbag and slap you ;)

I've just received my young working visa to work in the UK for the next two years, and to be honest I don't really know what to expect know. I work as an economist in consulting, am a CA and was hoping to find some contracting work in financial services, but with the timing of this I'm not sure what impact Brexit will have on my prospects.

From an outsiders point of view it's interesting to see what the coverage has been. For those leave voters who are trying to distance themselves from the 'fringe' or perceived minority racist voters, the international coverage has firmly put these front and centre. Even in the Murdoch press here, the byline of an article on Who is Nigel Farage is 'Rise of Loonies and Closet Racists'. I am sure that the majority of the leave voters, are neither racist, nor support those causes, but it is naivety in the extreme and a case of having your cake and eating it to to try and claim that it is unfair that you will be tarred with the same brush. Overwhelming the coverage here in Oz has focused on the racial aspects when covering the leave campaign. You may not like it, and it very well may be the case of the media responding more to salacious and titillating aspects of the story, but that is the international view.

Getting back on topic in regards to rise in racism and specifically that video that was posted earlier. What was eye opening to me was the inaction by so many of the bystanders. It was shocking that so many didn't want to assist and were passive throughout. It's not my problem, someone else will deal with it. I can understand why though. One person standing up to three scrotes might get bashed. However if 5 or 6 people did, then there the power shifts. The comment by one of the women, obviously said in the heat of the moment, that they should stop because 'there's kids present' is equally eye opening. What does that have to do with anything? Racist language is wrong whatever context. This inaction of instances like this is shocking. The standard you walk past is the standard you accept. Note that accept doesn't mean condone or support.

Even here in Australia the immigrant card is wheeled out to great affect. with dog whistling connotations of racism. Just a few weeks back the immigration minister stated that most of the 'illegal' arrivals are illiterate and innumerate and will drain our resources, whilst concurrently stealing Australians jobs. This whipped up hysteria is shocking, but is a proven winner. The argument descends into zero sum gain calculations where peoples personal self interests are laid bare - that any support for migrants, is directly coming out of their pocket. The sad thing is that it works.

I'm a firm believer in migration. My dad was a refugee displaced by the second world war. Both he and my mum migrated from Europe to Australia where I've had such a lucky life. They were provided opportunities worked hard and made a significant contribution, like many migrants before and after them. The faced racism due to their accents, and their background. They did not teach me their mother tongues as they did not want me to be considered different - even to extent of sending me to a speech pathologist to correct things that I picked up from them. I already had a non-anglo last name, and they didn't want to add another aspect to differentiate me from others. Primary school is tough when you're different. But it's something I regret now as I have relatives that I can't converse with. And the thing is, is that these decisions were made in a comparatively tolerant Australia.

The thing is, it is hard to empathise with others when you don't live their lives. I broke my foot a few weeks back and was homebound for a month. It was frustrating to not be able to do simple things, but at least I knew it was temporary, but gave me some insight into what a harrowing life it must be for someone who is disabled permanently. When it comes to contentious issues like race it is important to check your privilege and consider what others might be going through.

Anyway, on a lighter note, i'll be in the UK soon, and thinking of hitting up the City/Bayern friendly, so hope to bump into some of you there...

I've just received my young working visa to work in the UK for the next two years, and to be honest I don't really know what to expect know. I work as an economist in consulting, am a CA and was hoping to find some contracting work in financial services, but with the timing of this I'm not sure what impact Brexit will have on my prospects.

From an outsiders point of view it's interesting to see what the coverage has been. For those leave voters who are trying to distance themselves from the 'fringe' or perceived minority racist voters, the international coverage has firmly put these front and centre. Even in the Murdoch press here, the byline of an article on Who is Nigel Farage is 'Rise of Loonies and Closet Racists'. I am sure that the majority of the leave voters, are neither racist, nor support those causes, but it is naivety in the extreme and a case of having your cake and eating it to to try and claim that it is unfair that you will be tarred with the same brush. Overwhelming the coverage here in Oz has focused on the racial aspects when covering the leave campaign. You may not like it, and it very well may be the case of the media responding more to salacious and titillating aspects of the story, but that is the international view.

Getting back on topic in regards to rise in racism and specifically that video that was posted earlier. What was eye opening to me was the inaction by so many of the bystanders. It was shocking that so many didn't want to assist and were passive throughout. It's not my problem, someone else will deal with it. I can understand why though. One person standing up to three scrotes might get bashed. However if 5 or 6 people did, then there the power shifts. The comment by one of the women, obviously said in the heat of the moment, that they should stop because 'there's kids present' is equally eye opening. What does that have to do with anything? Racist language is wrong whatever context. This inaction of instances like this is shocking. The standard you walk past is the standard you accept. Note that accept doesn't mean condone or support.

Even here in Australia the immigrant card is wheeled out to great affect. with dog whistling connotations of racism. Just a few weeks back the immigration minister stated that most of the 'illegal' arrivals are illiterate and innumerate and will drain our resources, whilst concurrently stealing Australians jobs. This whipped up hysteria is shocking, but is a proven winner. The argument descends into zero sum gain calculations where peoples personal self interests are laid bare - that any support for migrants, is directly coming out of their pocket. The sad thing is that it works.

I'm a firm believer in migration. My dad was a refugee displaced by the second world war. Both he and my mum migrated from Europe to Australia where I've had such a lucky life. They were provided opportunities worked hard and made a significant contribution, like many migrants before and after them. The faced racism due to their accents, and their background. They did not teach me their mother tongues as they did not want me to be considered different - even to extent of sending me to a speech pathologist to correct things that I picked up from them. I already had a non-anglo last name, and they didn't want to add another aspect to differentiate me from others. Primary school is tough when you're different. But it's something I regret now as I have relatives that I can't converse with. And the thing is, is that these decisions were made in a comparatively tolerant Australia.

The thing is, it is hard to empathise with others when you don't live their lives. I broke my foot a few weeks back and was homebound for a month. It was frustrating to not be able to do simple things, but at least I knew it was temporary, but gave me some insight into what a harrowing life it must be for someone who is disabled permanently. When it comes to contentious issues like race it is important to check your privilege and consider what others might be going through.

Anyway, on a lighter note, i'll be in the UK soon, and thinking of hitting up the City/Bayern friendly, so hope to bump into some of you there...

Interesting to hear the take on this in Oz. Enjoy your time in the UK.

Last edited:

Exellent post young Billy and well articulated.
A very good read.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.