Raheem Sterling - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I love about him is he will keep working on his finishing and keep trying to improve and if he succeeds he will score another 5-10 a season. The fact he has the numbers he does but can still do more shows the potential he has. He has been brilliant this season and will continue to get better and better.

Hope he has a great summer with England too because he deserves to gain the support of the whole country.

Can t wait to see him again. Walker will offer him enough space for him to drift inside. If he will get his penalties than we are looking at 15 goals, 15+ assists next season.
So, without receiving his penalties, he managed to surpass what I said in the beginning of the season about him. In 2-3 years time he will be entering his prime. Imagine that!

Unbelievable movement all game yesterday. Great player, can't wait till he sorts out his one on ones. Which he will.

Unbelievable movement all game yesterday. Great player, can't wait till he sorts out his one on ones. Which he will.

Well maybe it's just me but I didn't like his 1st half movements and decisions at all and thought it was a bit half arsed.
Much changed in the 2nd half though!

If that was part of a game plan I don't know.
But "all game" not from me. Just sayin.

Hadn't seen that list before. Aguero (13), Jesus (13), and Sterling (12), so 38 'Big Chances', whatever that means, missed.

Salah leads that list with 21 and Benteke next on 20.
I believe they use Opta’s model which calculates chance ‘quality’ based on position relative to goal (and several other ‘eye test’ factors). Big Chances are those that an average player would reasonably be expected to score more often than not (so better than a 50/50 chance).

When you look at this statistic across leagues you find the players considered to be very good and/or world class tend to have a higher number of Big Chances Missed compared to average players. That makes sense, how ever counterintuitively, as you are likely to score *and* miss more chances if you are good enough to create them in the first place.

As @BlueMoonz1977 alluded to, this statistic indicates two major points (among other minor ones):

1) Raheem is already very good
2) Raheem can still improve

The second point should frighten anyone that has to play against him in the future.

Regarding all of the City players, I am actually developing a simple ‘Attacking Contribution Score’ based on Goals, Assists, Minutes Played, and Big Chances Missed, just for fun (as this sort of thing, sadly, is fun for me). I am trying to decide if anyone on here would be interested in using it for a prediction game, whereby we predict the Top 10 attacking contributors (using the score) at the end of the season, with only three games left to play.

Less than all the others above him still then?

Players miss chances.
I was not critising Raheem; I am one of his biggest supporters on here, and have been even when most were slagging him off to no end.

I was just answering another poster’s question.

He's my pick for POTY as, even though he hasn't hit the heights KDB and Silva have at times, he's been the most consistent all season. I hope everyone now realises how lucky we are to have him.

I believe they use Opta’s model which calculates chance ‘quality’ based on position relative to goal (and several other ‘eye test’ factors). Big Chances are those that an average player would reasonably be expected to score more often than not (so better than a 50/50 chance).

When you look at this statistic across leagues you find the players considered to be very good and/or world class tend to have a higher number of Big Chances Missed compared to average players. That makes sense, how ever counterintuitively, as you are likely to score *and* miss more chances if you are good enough to create them in the first place.

As @BlueMoonz1977 alluded to, this statistic indicates two major points (among other minor ones):

1) Raheem is already very good
2) Raheem can still improve

The second point should frighten anyone that has to play against him in the future.

Regarding all of the City players, I am actually developing a simple ‘Attacking Contribution Score’ based on Goals, Assists, Minutes Played, and Big Chances Missed, just for fun (as this sort of thing, sadly, is fun for me). I am trying to decide if anyone on here would be interested in using it for a prediction game, whereby we predict the Top 10 attacking contributors (using the score) at the end of the season, with only three games left to play.

I was not critising Raheem; I am one of his biggest supporters on here, and have been even when most were slagging him off to no end.

I was just answering another poster’s question.

Quite right Seb, Raheem has the potential to reach (dare i say it...ballon D’or level)....especially considering some players/pundits suggest Salah should be in with a shout for it this year

Attacking Influence Assessment - City Players

0bd886eb_e58d_4c2d_882e_92b2855ec8e9_by_techspider-dca9kos.jpg

This is a preliminary (work-in-progress) bubble chart mapping players to four basic quadrants representing attacking influence. It is based on a scoring system I am developing in an attempt to create my own baseline method of assessing player influence on attacking play in the league over the course of the season (I may use it for predictive analysis for several buy-in draft Fantasy Football leagues next year). This is based on the official Premier League statistics (https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/goals?se=79) and my own formula for weighting contributions (goals and assists) and (big) missed chances, factoring in minutes played (to recognise relative opportunity to contribute). The higher the Attacking Contribution Score, the more the player contributed to our attacking play. The higher the Chances Missed Score, the less clinical the player’s finishing. The larger the player ‘bubble’, the larger their net influence on attacking play. This is meant to help assess variance in overall contribution to attack and identify consistency and potential for improvement (and thus, players that may be ‘major influencers’ next year based on other factors, such as additional playing time, changes to team role, or further development).

This version only includes City players who have played at least 500 minutes and have contributed at least one goal or assist. The ‘ideal’ quadrant for player position is the bottom-right quadrant, for obvious reasons. The unnamed player on the graph is Vinny(due to total net influence being so small), which is not surprising.

There are much better, much more detailed overall assessment systems out there, of course, but most are behind a paywall and I enjoy creating these sorts of assessment systems (and want to have a project to fill the void left by the Summer football break, not counting the World Cup, of course). I am still working through the scoring formula to make it more accurate/representative, and plan to create similar charts for previous seasons for year-over-year comparisons, but I thought this initial effort was worth sharing for discussion. I may eventually expand out to Opta or WhoScored stats for more granular performance analysis. I am posting this chart to a few player threads for reference—not sure it deserves its own thread.

It’s worth keeping in my that this does not reflect the overall contribution of the player (attacking and defensive play, nor intangible influence). I am thinking about how that could be quantitatively (and comprehensively) assessed and, if I am able to put something together, I think we would find Kevin, David, and Fernandinho would be up with Sterling and Aguero for overall contribution.

Sterling related observations:

1) Raheem is one of our most influential attacking players (Titanic, Hindenburg, etc.).
2) Based on my scoring system, even a small improvement in chance conversion would not only “stretch” the relative assessment range (by increasing the highest Attacking Contribution Score for the assessment universe), but take him much closer to the bottom-right quadrant, leading to substantially higher influence our attacking play.
3) Raheem still has huge potential to realise, as he could conceivably create fewer chances overall, but still contribute more to attacking play by being more clinical. As many of us have said, if he was to maintain or increase his chance creation AND improve his conversion rate, he could be undeniably one of the best players in the world (the stats would backup the claim beyond just ‘eye test’ evidence, as they do for Messi, Ronaldo, and Neymar).

Personally, my take away here is that he has not peaked yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.