Raheem Sterling - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the first time I can ever remember I said “WHAT A CROSS THAT WAS!” about Raheem. (The one for Jesus in the second half).

Many aspects of his game keep getting better.

He still has many scruffy moments in every game, but for a technically ungifted player he’s getting better at the technical side all the time.

Technically ungifted ?

I can imagine if you said that to Pep or a top coach, they would have a good laugh.

Technically ungifted ?

I can imagine if you said that to Pep or a top coach, they would have a good laugh.
Yeah I’ve never been that impressed with the way he’s struck the ball, crosses and shots. Some absolutely bobbins efforts last season (but showed he could have it in him with the Southampton strike) but so far this season I think he’s improving on both.

When he was younger (at Liverpool and his first season with us) I used to think he never really got the ball under control properly when receiving it on the run. It’d bobble up of his toe then the floor then his shin and he’s give it away or run it out of play. He’s improved on that in the last few years but still did exactly that twice yesterday. See the contrast to how Bernardo Silva controls the ball on the run.

Yeah I’ve never been that impressed with the way he’s struck the ball, crosses and shots. Some absolutely bobbins efforts last season (but showed he could have it in him with the Southampton strike) but so far this season I think he’s improving on both.

When he was younger (at Liverpool and his first season with us) I used to think he never really got the ball under control properly when receiving it on the run. It’d bobble up of his toe then the floor then his shin and he’s give it away or run it out of play. He’s improved on that in the last few years but still did exactly that twice yesterday. See the contrast to how Bernardo Silva controls the ball on the run.

Ok, but I also saw times yesterday when his control was superb, his crossing was good, and his movement for the goal was technically brilliant, timing it to the second.
I also think Bernando has the most incredible first touch, his miss was a sitter though so if you want to compare take that into consideration, he is not infallible. Personally I think we need to get past comparing our players against each other. I thought again yesterday each showed different skill sets that combine to produce a formidable team.

Ok, but I also saw times yesterday when his control was superb, his crossing was good, and his movement for the goal was technically brilliant, timing it to the second.
I also think Bernando has the most incredible first touch, his miss was a sitter though so if you want to compare take that into consideration, he is not infallible. Personally I think we need to get past comparing our players against each other. I thought again yesterday each showed different skill sets that combine to produce a formidable team.
I know, like I said, he’s improving on everything.

Comparing and contrasting players is what football analysis is all about.

I think people get too bogged down with thinking observations are criticisms. Players will be good at some things and not at others; will be a natural at some things but only improve on those things over time if they’ve never been naturally part of their game, maybe in some examples never improve on them. Pointing them out doesn’t mean someone is criticising someone and they don’t detract from the good points to their game, they’re just observations.

And my observations on his weaknesses were a positive as I think he’s improving on things he wasn’t good at earlier in his career or even last season or things he isn’t naturally gifted at.

Messi doesn’t use his right foot enough in certain situations and can have spells when he’s not involved in a game. That doesn’t detract from my opinion of him being the greatest footballer ever, especially around 2009-2014.

Last edited by a moderator:
1 very lucky save and one brilliant stop.

He was disappointed with himself when he came off, love his hunger.
Top players don’t give the keeper that chance, but I’ll grant you, once he did give the keeper the chance, he did a very good job getting something on it.

Top players don’t give the keeper that chance, but I’ll grant you, once he did give the keeper the chance, he did a very good job getting something on it.

He got lucky getting something on it, let's be honest.

I know, like I said, he’s improving on everything.

Comparing and contrasting players is what football analysis is all about.

I think people get too bogged down with thinking observations are criticisms. Players will be good at some things and not at others; will be a natural at some things but only improve on those things over time if they’ve never been naturally part of their game, maybe in some examples never improve on them. Pointing them out doesn’t mean someone is criticising someone and they don’t detract from the good points to their game, they’re just observations.

And my observations on his weaknesses were a positive as I think he’s improving on things he wasn’t good at earlier in his career or even last season or things he isn’t naturally gifted at.

Messi doesn’t use his right foot enough in certain situations and can have spells when he’s not involved in a game. That doesn’t detract from my opinion of him being the greatest footballer ever, especially around 2009-2014.

His kicking, I agree needs constant work, when you need power the position of the non kicking foot needs to be level or ahead of the ball at impact. Often he does not naturally achieve this, especially when facing the target. You can see when he is running across goal, left to right , he finds it easier to strike the ball (Southampton, Arsenal) are examples. Then the non kicking foot is further away, and he can use the instep to bend the ball.

He also needs to have the confidence to "dink" goalkeepers in one on one situations.

That said if Sterling had missed the chance Bernardo did miss, there would have been much more made of it. If he gets 30 goals this season, some people will say it should be 40.

If of course he is not sold in January because of the contract situation.

he will continue to divide opinion because the qualities he has getting onto the ball (i.e. positioning, pace, runs) magnify his sometimes wanting quality at finishing or final ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.